RJ Spagnols EP Aussie Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broge5

Reaction score
Just pitched yeast on this Chardonnay today, but the big of oak chips completely cover the top and the yeast doesn't seem to be getting through. Should I leave it alone or give it a quick stir?

Here's a pic after a little over 24hrs at 70-71 F. That's the oak tea bag in the middle.
ImageUploadedByWine Making1390009432.787264.jpg

Last edited:
FWIW - After 48 hours with virtually no change except a few minor bubbles, I use the spoon to gently pressed down the east and oak. 24 hours after that the little yeasties are are happy and partying like rock stars!

Okay. I'm planning to do battonage on this one. I've transferred to a carboy and fermenting is pretty much done. Now if I understand correctly I'll add Kmeta and then start stirring occasionally but not do any further racking.

I did rack a bit of oak chips over from the primary though. Some are floating, and most settled. Do I need to get these out, or will they hurt anything.

I tasted Shoebedo's chard, and it is great!

I will be doing the same kit and was thinking of battonage as well. How goes your progress so far?

thx

Started mine on jan 16. Added sorbate and KMeta on feb 12 and been stirring 2-3 times a week since. I figure on keeping that up for another month or so and then rack off lees for clearing. So far so good.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Thx. Have read in some other threads that people add the sorbate after the battonage is completed. Wonder if it makes any difference.
cheers

Hmmmm. I haven't seen those threads. I hope not. I do remember that I questioned whether I would add sorbate at all though. Figured with as little experience as I have at this point, I'd go ahead and play it safe.

Okay. Couldn't wait any longer. After stirring 2 to 3 times a week for the last couple of months I finally racked off the lees. Added clearing agents about four days ago and looks fantastically clear already.

I figure I'll let it sit for another 10 days or so and then rack off of what settled. Or possibly rack in another few days and let it sit for another week.

Usually I have my reds sit in the carboy about 90 days after clearing. Do you guys generally do this with your whites including this kit? I'd like to get it to bottle as quickly as I can because I have quite a few on deck that I'm itching to start and no more carboys available. But, I don't want settlement to start dropping out because I bottled it too quickly

I will be starting my Ep Chard today and then do as you for a couple months. Should be interesting. I usually let my whites sit for 4-5 months after racking off the sediment. I know where you are coming from. I have carboys all over the place. As soon as i get one bottled another shows up.

cheers

Let it sit for another 2-4 weeks. Then do a final racking just just before bottling.

Okay. Couldn't wait any longer. After stirring 2 to 3 times a week for the last couple of months I finally racked off the lees. Added clearing agents about four days ago and looks fantastically clear already.

I figure I'll let it sit for another 10 days or so and then rack off of what settled. Or possibly rack in another few days and let it sit for another week.

Usually I have my reds sit in the carboy about 90 days after clearing. Do you guys generally do this with your whites including this kit? I'd like to get it to bottle as quickly as I can because I have quite a few on deck that I'm itching to start and no more carboys available. But, I don't want settlement to start dropping out because I bottled it too quickly

Just got this one bottled yesterday. I'm not much of a white drinker but I think this one will be pretty good especially if it tastes like Shoebiedoo's.

Put it through the sur lie and battonage for a couple of months. Either way, at least it's ImageUploadedByWine Making1399648610.607940.jpgImageUploadedByWine Making1399648636.347249.jpgpurty!!

Thanks everybody. I'm real pleased with the way it turned out. I just hope the taste is there down the road.

Latest posts

Back