RJ Spagnols En Primeur Pinot Noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AUwiner

Reaction score
I recently bottled wine from this kit after bulk aging for 6 months. I was really disappointed in the taste at this point. The wine seemed very "shallow" tasting. It has no real body at all. Do you think this is possibly just an aging issue? This is my first kit from the series and I was expecting something special. I have made about a dozen different varieties from the Winery Cellar Classic Series and all of them have been excellent after the same bulk aging period.

I have an EP Pinot that is still in the carboy after 14 months. It is bitter/harsh and just not pleasing, though it has improved. I recently received a note from TonyT who noted I'd made it. He wanted to let me know he had made the same kit and it was dull/flavorless until about 18 months of age. I think these kits just need more time. I made the EP Amarone about a month before starting the Pinot. It has come around a little faster, but is also taking its time developing.

Aye yi yi! 18 months! I'm just trying to get to 6. What's a newbie to do? Yeah yeah yeah, I know, buy some commercial wine and have patience.

As the buzzards in the cartoon say: "Patience my a$$, I'm gonna kill something!"

Aye yi yi! 18 months! I'm just trying to get to 6. What's a newbie to do? Yeah yeah yeah, I know, buy some commercial wine and have patience.

Buy a faster aging kit, like Petite Verdot. According to the guy at the LHBS, it is nice at 9 months.

Make some dragons blood or skeeter pee.
Drink a bottle per month after about 6 months. Even though it won't be great, it will be drinkable.
Add capacity (as in carboys) and make more at the same time.

Or all of the above.

Adding tannins specifically made for Pinot Noir wine should help. My Pinot is still 2 months from bottling and tastes not too bad. I added Rouge Soft tannins pre-ferment, but they make a post-ferment version also.

I made this kit a few months(august), racked on tuesday to clear off some goop.
It was remarkably smooth for 3 months, but as noted elsewhere flavorless.
I put 1 oz of oak cubes in and will rack in another 3 months.
:r

Make some dragons blood or skeeter pee.
Drink a bottle per month after about 6 months. Even though it won't be great, it will be drinkable.
Add capacity (as in carboys) and make more at the same time.

Or all of the above.

'57, my comments were somewhat tongue in cheek, but thanks for the advice, and all three makes perfect sense! I started this obsession in June, and right now have 6 carboys and one fermenter in play. 3 of those are 2 year plus red projects - high end kits. I do have a couple of fast drinkers in the mix, one white is actually already bottled.

I got into this with the intent that I had some waiting to do,and intentionally started some long term projects just to get my cellar started, but that doesn't make it any easier!

I do need to kick out an SP or DB just to see how those work, and what the final product tastes like. I'm in the land of skeeters, (just about froze out now tho) so next summer a bottle or two while sitting on the deck might be just what the entomologist ordered!

Best, Fran

Adding tannins specifically made for Pinot Noir wine should help. My Pinot is still 2 months from bottling and tastes not too bad. I added Rouge Soft tannins pre-ferment, but they make a post-ferment version also.

I added those tannins to my WE Pinot Noir and I took a sip yesterday (about 1 month after fermentation) and it was extremely woody. I hope this flavor smooths with age.

This seems disappointing , I have had my EP Pinot Noir in the carboy 9 months and am looking to bottle soon. HAve to give it a taste and see it is coming around.

AUwiner
I did that kit and felt the same way FOR THE FIRST YEAR in bottle. After a year it is wonderful. Unfortunately I panniced and drank any gave away toy kids most all of it before I realized how good it aged. Please hide it away and forget till next fall. Or send to me.

Back