RJ Spagnols En Primeur Kits? Slow to come around?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
I did two EP kits last year - Amarone and Pinot Noir. They are 8 and 7 months old. On the Amarone, I swapped the yeast for BM45. The Pinot came with RC212 and I used that. Both kits had time in a Vadai barrel, and spent about a month doing CS in the garage. The nose on both is very nice - actually quite good on the Pinot. But both have a sour taste that I can't place. It's not "green" or astringent, just sour. I realize these are still relatively young; but at this age, most of the kits I've done are already quite good, and still improving.

I'm just wondering what others experience with EP kits have been. Do they take a little longer to come around than Winery Series, Showcase, etc? I have not tested pH on either of these and probably should, just to be sure it hasn't been thrown off. But with a kit, I'd expect it to be pretty well dialed in. Thanks for your insight.

Nothing, huh? I guess I'll just have to sit back and wait a while.

Signed,

The impatient winemaker

Can't give much experience on this, Jim. I recently bottled my first EP kit (Amarone) and I, too, noticed the sourness in the kit. I am attributing it to youth. I have read that the EP kits can take 18-24 months to peak. Guess we will both have to ride it out.

I bottled the EP Shiraz at 8 months and was not overly impressed. Good but not great for a premium kit. Had another taste at 18 months and was very happy with the change. Give yours some time. I have other EP kits sitting so I hope they come around as well.

cheers

I just bottled an EP Super Tuscan. Not bad now, but sounds like I need to give it quite a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Thanks guys. I'm thinking these just need more time than your typical kit. Just trying to manage my expectations.

I know what you mean Boatboy. Managing my expectations goes a long way toward managing my patience.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Have to say I have this same issue with my EP Super Tuscan. Its roughly 5 months old, getting ready to put in the barrel. My WS Super Tuscan didn't have this, in fact just the opposite. My early issues were too fruity kit taste thing going on.

Those two WS mellowed just fine and I'm very happy with them. Not going to panic though, between the 4-5 months in the barrel and another year in the bottle, my wines have really improved, assuming this one will also.

Yes you need time. My Amarone had the sour taste up to near 2 years. Came around now.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

My EP Super Tuscan has a sour-ish taste at 5 months old (it will spend a month in a barrel than bottled).

I also took a sip of my WE Selection Barolo, which is 2 months old and sour.

I find that my higher end kits, when young taste sour before they come into their own. But that is strictly my uneducated, inexperienced opinion!
:n

Latest posts

Back