Emergency Sulphite question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyt

Reaction score
Today is bottling day for my MMM Amarone. It has been in Vadai barrel. Next in the barrel (today) is RJS Valpolicella Ripassa. Valp was sulphited per instructions on December 28th. and been aging in glass carboy. So it is due another dose now. It will only be in the barrel two months then bottle.

Question?
A) Sulphite now and again in two months at bottling?
B) Sulphite now and not at bottling?
C) No Sulphite until bottling?
D) Regular dose now and 1/2 dose later?
E) Other?

Also: I don't have a sulphite test kit and don't really feel comfortable going that route, not being a chemist like some of y'all.
Thanks for any quick responses since I am a couple hours away from racking Valp from glass to barrel.

It would be best to sulfite at least now. The racking operation will expose it to some oxygen and possible bacteria. Your sulfite levels are probably borderline now - so make an addition. It will also be more vulnerable to losing S02 while in the barrel as it lets more 02 in than the carboy.

I would get an accuvin test ampule before bottling and make a decision then. They are only a few bucks.

Yes that is the one. It is a bit up front but only a few bucks per test. It is cheaper to get it than to lose just one wine kit.

I agree with Rich, its kind of on the edge if sulfite will be needed later. If so probably not another 1/4 tsp anyway.

Okay, I added 1/4 tsp of K-Meta and 1/2 tsp of Tamcor Grand Cru and racked to barrel. In 8 weeks or so will check so2, with the test kit I will order tomorrow, and then bottle. I am going to blend some with Rosso Fortissimo to create a Rubio.

thanks for the quick responses.

Tony..consider the Vinmetrica sulfite tester...easy as all get out to use...not cheap cheap but not expensive..easy to use..very easy...for the level of wine making you are at, it is a good reliable tool to fine tune your wine levels of so2

Latest posts

Back