Elderberry Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LanMan

Reaction score
Can I freeze the pulp to make a seconds wine at a later date. I don't have the time to do it right now as I am away from home and the wife won't make wine for me:dg
I go home every two weeks and made my elderberry last weekend so I won't see my wine again for a week and a half:a1

Can I freeze the pulp to make a seconds wine at a later date. I don't have the time to do it right now as I am away from home and the wife won't make wine for me:dg
I go home every two weeks and made my elderberry last weekend so I won't see my wine again for a week and a half:a1

Yes freeze it if you can't make a wine now and use 6 cans of Welch's White grape concentrate as a base. I make an elderberry full body and an elderberry blush with the seconds.

Awsome. I have read alot about seconds wine and didnt want to wait till next season to give it a try:b

So depending on the gravity of my elderberry wine when I go home next week I would like to make skeeter pee with the cake. Anyone know what the scale down recipe is for 3 gallons?
I am still planning on making an elderblush later as well:dg

Sure, take your 5 gal recipe, divide it by 5 and multiply by 3. Dump the slurry in and away it should go. If you include a little of the elderberry liquid with the slurry like a quart or so, it should give you a fairly strong elderberry taste to your pee. Arne.

Thanks Arne. This will be my first Skeeter Pee and I did just like you said last night after I posted but I appreciate your response. It will be ok to use a little wine as I have no juice left right?

Thanks Arne. This will be my first Skeeter Pee and I did just like you said last night after I posted but I appreciate your response. It will be ok to use a little wine as I have no juice left right?

LanMan, like Arne says divide then muliply but add whatever slurry you have don't try to divide that.

Yes freeze it if you can't make a wine now and use 6 cans of Welch's White grape concentrate as a base. I make an elderberry full body and an elderberry blush with the seconds.

Is that 6 cans of white grape per gallon? Care to share your recipe for the blush?

It is posted on here somewhere but here it is again and this is a gentleman by the name of Paul's recipe, he posted it up on another site. I don't like taking credit for others ideas. I like really like the full and blush this recipe makes but I have been making it with 4#'s of berries instead of 3 and it is much better.

Here you go, enjoy:

Elderberry Wine

This recipe makes five gallons of elderberry wine and another five gallons of elderberry blush. In the beginning, when pressing the berries, do a thorough job because they don’t break open as easy as you might think.

Ingredients:

15 Pounds Fresh Elderberries
2 Gallons Water
6 11.5 Oz. Cans Welch’s Frozen White Grape Juice
7-8 Pounds Sugar, approximately (enough to bring S. G. to 1.090-1.095)
2-3 Tbls. Acid Blend approximately (enough to bring acid level to 0.65)
2 Tbls. Yeast Nutrient
2 tsp Pectic Enzyme
5 Campden Tablets, Crushed
1 Packet Lalvin RC 212 Yeast

Instructions:

Place the frozen elderberries in a nylon bag, tie the top of the bag and place in a nonreactive container that will hold at least four gallons. When the elderberries are thawed, press thoroughly, and cover with two gallons of boiling water. After the mixture cools, add pectic enzyme, cover and let it sit for 12 hours. Remove the nylon bag and allow it to drip until it stops. DO NOT SQUEEZE or you will get a green substance that will have a bitter taste to it. When this is complete, transfer the contents of the container to a primary and return the nylon bag to the container and cover. This will make the 5 gallons of blush, so when finished with the wine recipe, you will cover the nylon bag with two more gallons of boiling water and repeat the entire process. Thaw the six cans of white grape juice, add it to the primary, and bring the water level up to the five gallon mark. Take a reading with your hydrometer and add enough sugar to bring the specific gravity to approximately 1.090-1.095. Stir until all sugar is well dissolved. If you have a TA kit, check the titratable acidity and correct it to 0.65. Add the yeast nutrient, and the crushed campden tablets. Wait 24 hours and add the yeast. Cover the primary with a cloth and check the S.G. daily. When the must reaches 1.010 in approximately one week, rack to a secondary and put under an air lock. Rack again in two weeks and then every two months until clear.

Stabilize, add 5 campden tablets, wait ten days and bottle. I like to add ½ to 1 cup of light corn syrup mixed with 1-2 cups of hot water at bottling to give it a smooth taste.

Repeat the process to make another five gallons of elderberry blush.

If I remember right when I transferred to the secondary there was a bunch of seeds and pith and whatever left in the primary. It was mixed in with some liquid. Tried straining and it plugged the strainer fast. Decided heck with it and threw it all in the S.P. Made it take off fast and put a lot of the elderberry taste in the skeeter p. Only thing was, had to deal with the seeds and stuff in the skeeter p. It all worked out tho. Origionally had the elderberries in a strainer bag, but a bunch of the stuff got out. Don't remember whether the bag came untied or they were just magic and jumped out. Take care and good luck, Arne.

Latest posts

Back