Finer Wine Kit Freezing my FWK

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bakervinyard

Reaction score
I received my FWK about a month ago. I refrigerated it right away. I won’t have time to make it anytime soon. Can I freeze it now?
Thanks, Bakervinyard

I received my FWK about a month ago. I refrigerated it right away. I won’t have time to make it anytime soon. Can I freeze it now?
Thanks, Bakervinyard
Yes, but it might not be necessary. The concentrate is so high in sugar that it should be fine if refrigerated. We’re not talking indefinitely right?

Yes, but it might not be necessary. The concentrate is so high in sugar that it should be fine if refrigerated. We’re not talking indefinitely right?
Bob, not indefinitely but maybe several months. Have a health issue that needs attention.
Thanks for the reply, Bakervinyard

A stable at room temp kit does not need to be frozen. Concentrate (high brix sugars) resists micro growth.

The general assumption in food products is that reactions are twice as fast for every 10C increase in temp. This means that a vacuum evaporator does lots of flavor damage in comparison to holding in a room temp warehouse. Two years is a standard shelf life for canned product.

Bob, not indefinitely but maybe several months. Have a health issue that needs attention.
Thanks for the reply, Bakervinyard
I've done both. In the freezer it never freeze solid - just a thick slurry. In the refrigerator, it stays pretty much as you received it. I kept one in the spare fridge for 4 or 5 months with no issues. I believe Matteo said they can be frozen for 6-9 months.

A stable at room temp kit does not need to be frozen. Concentrate (high brix sugars) resists micro growth.

The general assumption in food products is that reactions are twice as fast for every 10C increase in temp. This means that a vacuum evaporator does lots of flavor damage in comparison to holding in a room temp warehouse. Two years is a standard shelf life for canned product.
Except the OP specifically said FWK, which is not shelf stable and must be frozen or chilled.

Freeze it and then you are free to worry about other things. If there is a skins pack then be sure to freeze that also.
This. It solves the problem of worrying about time.

Something to note is that juice buckets may be frozen for several years, and while that's juice, not concentrate, I suspect the storage in the freezer is a longer than Matteo said.

Back