Elderberries

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
The elderberries started blooming here in Tennessee about a week or so ago. These are across the road from me.

Elderberries 002.jpg

Elderberries 001.jpg

So far we don't have any blooms here in PA, well at least I don't and none at our camp

I have been watching them over here in the other side of tenneesee as well. Unfortunatly I won't be down here to harvest them like I did last year. Luckly I do know where there are a few stands of them in KY.
I have to find some Blackberries in KY as well.

All the brambles are going crazy here, I don't know what elderberries look like (yet) so not sure on that one.

All the brambles are going crazy here, I don't know what elderberries look like (yet) so not sure on that one.

do a search on elderberries, I have posted a couple of pics and if you can't find them pm me.

If you make elderflower wine.. You dont get elderberries do ya?

Elderflower are starting to bloom here too cant wait to pick them. Quite a few bushes on the field at the back of me so will be enough to Di elderberry later. :)

image-808533817.jpg

image-3873475407.jpg

I think I found em, the main stalks are lighter color like a maple but the smaller fruit stems are greenish now, I'm guessing the stems will develop the identifying dark purple as the fruit does or am I totally wrong on this whole thing and that's some funky poison ivy crap and I shouldn't have touched it.

That looks like elderflower but not mam flowers

Last edited:
Although there does not seem to be.many flowers on the bush in pic

[QUOTE
I think I found em, the main stalks are lighter color like a maple but the smaller fruit stems are greenish now, I'm guessing the stems will develop the identifying dark purple as the fruit does or am I totally wrong on this whole thing and that's some funky poison ivy crap and I shouldn't have touched it.[/QUOTE]

TJ, I don't think those are elderberries. They are not poison Ivy either. The leaves are wrong and the flower cluster is wrong. I am not sure what you have but do not expect elderberries.

I agree with Phil. I have seen those many same flowers many times andgot all excited only to find out they were something esle. They grow in the same areas the Elderberries do along the roads near tree lines and under power lines.

On a closer look I think u are right tj elderflower are in clusters but the flower looks similar

I found about 7 of them plants in among some neglected privacy bush that runs the length of the property ~ 200' no one lived on the property a really long time and the bushes got about 25' tall and super spindly. I'll let them fruit or whatever they do and see what comes about. I have bigger more umbrella looking flower clusters but my phone will not get a good picture up that high.

Tj, the pic you posted are not elderberries, there is a bush out there that is very similar to elderberries but the berries are bigger when they are formed and the birds will not touch them. I follow what the birds do, if they don't touch them, neither will I.

here is a link to a pic I posted on elderberries:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f25/elderberries-7552/

Last edited:
Ours are starting to really bloom this past weekend, we lost them last spring to some fungus but this year our spring was warmer and drier and they are blooming big time to make up for last year. I have some pics on my webpage if you want to know what they look like. Just dont go picking pokeberries! Cracked

Not elderberries, only 4 flower petals, leaves are very wrong, here is a link to some of our elderberry bushes, leaves and closeup of flowers and how to help tell when they are ripe.

http://www.oatmealjack.com/Elderberries/ElderberriesFlowers.html

View attachment 4538

View attachment 4539

I think I found em, the main stalks are lighter color like a maple but the smaller fruit stems are greenish now, I'm guessing the stems will develop the identifying dark purple as the fruit does or am I totally wrong on this whole thing and that's some funky poison ivy crap and I shouldn't have touched it.

Back