Elderberries?????

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivebk

Reaction score
After listening to people on this forum talk about finding wild elderberries I started looking around. I am just sure that I have found wild elderberries growing in select spots along some of the country roads in my area. (extreme NW Missouri ) My concern after researching them online is some are edible and some are poisonous. The berries are small ( BB size ), black , and in clusters ranging from 3 in to 8 to 10 inches across. The leaves look the same as what I researced. Does my description sound the same as some others have already picked??

I also read online that they should be cooked before being consumed. If this is true do they have to be cooked before making them into wine?

My mother told me not too long ago that she remembered as a child her grandmother used to make a elderberry / concord jelly that was absolutly awsome. I was thinking that that combination might make a very good wine.

I have went ahead and harvested some of the elderberries but was afraid to try them untill I got some input. I already have 2 gallon bags and 2 pint bags completely full. I cleaned them pretty well with only a few tiny stems remaining.

If anyone can give me some input into this it would be greatly appreceiated

BOB
smiley5.gif
smiley5.gif
smiley5.gif
smiley5.gif

Im no expert Bob, That would be Cracked Cork, but I have been told to avoid any with red berries , or thorns on the trunk of the plant. I have never seen either in this area, and I steam juice mine.

From my readings, the stems, leaves, and roots of all elderberries are toxic. Cyanide compounds in them. Be careful to remove the stems and leaves. I don't think you will have a problem with the roots. Just don't make tea from the roots and leaves.........

I agree with Gaudet but must also add that Ive read that unripe green berries also contain very small amounts. You should after plucking them off the stems put them all in water as unripe berries will float while the ripe 1's will sink, skim off the floaters and throw them away.

Bob, I am not an expert but I did stay at a Holiday Inn, there are some pictures of the canadensis variety on my webpage. You dont have to cook them to eat them or make wine, but they really dont taste good raw anyway. Crackedcork

to err on the side of safety, either juice them in a steam juicer or cook them down into juice before using in your wine. Beware the green goo!
I just made 5 1/2 pints of elderberry syrup for pancakes/waffles/ice cream.. KILLER STUFF! I'm on a wine making hiatus right now until next fall then I plan on 6 or more gallons of elderberry wine.

I may go take one last look with Boydd. Seems there on a bit of a slippery slope at the lake....probably should bring a camera for this adventure!
smiley36.gif

Elderberries are perfectly safe raw in wine. They also make a nice wine if steamed. Cooking them in a pot makes them taste different. The dried ones make another kind of great wine. Crackedcork

I'd make absolutely sure you have elderberries before you do anything else. You can call your local cooperative extension service or the Department of Natural Resource, or if there is a college near you with a botanist that's interested in local edible plants you can ask them.

Latest posts

Back