WineXpert Eclipse Lodi Cab - calling all tweakers!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just opened this kit today and took the attached photo of the contents for an article I'm writing. The kit on the left is the VR Cab. The one on the right is the Eclipse. As you can see, it came with a total of 5 packs of oak. I've had the kit for awhile so it may or may not be the same as what is currently being shipped. I also thought it was interesting that it came with two packages of fining agent.

Kit Contents 6x3 150 dpi.JPG

Just got this one started today! Got to keep the wine train chugging along ya know:)... Pitched BM 4X4 in hopes of a bit of leather in this Cab. Full of great expectations:)

I pulled my Lodi out of the barrel this past weekend. I have to say, I may just have screwed it up. I added some tannins, 3 tsp grape tannins, to the carboy during the end of AF, it think it's too much. The fruit was completely overpowered by the tannin, I've failed to achieve the balance I was looking for and am just hoping that some carboy time will bring it back down to earth. I might just put it back into one of the barrels later after they've had a couple more wines run through them. It reminds me of an old bottle of wine my dad gave me recently, it was a 1996 wine, he said "Taste this wine, it's an example of a wine that didn't age well, the fruit is gone and the tannin is the only thing left on your palate". It was nasty and after a couple of sips, I tossed the whole bottle.

Damn... Sorry to hear that. Hopefully time will heal the wounds. I'm just getting into adjusting flavor with tannins. I suppose a good approach is to be patient and add a little at a time...

I pulled my Lodi out of the barrel this past weekend. I have to say, I may just have screwed it up. I added some tannins, 3 tsp grape tannins, to the carboy during the end of AF, it think it's too much. The fruit was completely overpowered by the tannin, I've failed to achieve the balance I was looking for and am just hoping that some carboy time will bring it back down to earth. I might just put it back into one of the barrels later after they've had a couple more wines run through them. It reminds me of an old bottle of wine my dad gave me recently, it was a 1996 wine, he said "Taste this wine, it's an example of a wine that didn't age well, the fruit is gone and the tannin is the only thing left on your palate". It was nasty and after a couple of sips, I tossed the whole bottle.

John,
Sorry to hear that. I hope it mellows for you. I'm just now starting to explore adding Tannin Riche Extra to some of my wines, plus potentially a barrel soon. I can see how I would need to be cautious not to get to tweaking too many things at once. My first experiment was with Dry Creek Chardonnay and TRE. That created a protein haze. Fortunately after a month it's clearing nicely, but not a good start to Tannin tweaking :)

I hope this works out for you. Lodi Cab is outstanding wine. Thanks for sharing your experience.

That sucks, John. Hope it fades over time. The only other thing I might suggest (besides waiting and hoping for the best) is getting an Eclipse SLD Merlot; and blending them once the Merlot reaches clearing. Use the oak chips in the primary, but forgo the cubes. I bet that would make for a fantastic wine.

I remember reading about the 3 tsp., it stuck in my mind, it was post #2. I also read you had another one that was lacking in tannin. Could these be combined and put back in the barrel or carboys, and brought together while they are still young?

I remember reading about the 3 tsp., it stuck in my mind, it was post #2. I also read you had another one that was lacking in tannin. Could these be combined and put back in the barrel or carboys, and brought together while they are still young?

I wish, the other Lodi was bottled last year. It'd be nice if it were still in a carboy. We'll just have to wait and see if it comes around in time.

I did my first tannin addition to a LOVZ kit a couple years ago in an effort to reduce the slight candy flavored I can taste in all red kits. Tasted fine when I mixed the enology all tannins in, but was lousy a year later. At 2 years it is just Showing signs of turning around, and I believe it won't peak for 4 years or more.

Good California and French reds made in the 70's and 80's really didn't develop for 5-10 years or more, depending upon the varietal. I believe it was due to sitting on stems, seeds, skins longer, as well as longer time in fresh oak barrels. All of this means more tannin, AFAIK. These days, getting a wine to market quicker is a major consideration in the process.

As long as the corks are top quality and the pH vs S02 is managed, there is a lot to be optimistic for in letting it age. That said, I'm a strong believer in blending.

Hmmmm. Just put the SLM into a barrel.........maybe a blend would help it out. Of course, I could just ruin two batches since I seem to be on a roll.......

What if you do a 50/50 between the tannic Cab and the SLM in a 750 ml bottle and let it sit for a few weeks, then taste?

If the cab is still too much by itself (and the blend works for you), then I'd say go for it.

What if you do a 50/50 between the tannic Cab and the SLM in a 750 ml bottle and let it sit for a few weeks, then taste?

If the cab is still too much by itself (and the blend works for you), then I'd say go for it.

Definitely doable, but I'm going to ride it for a long while to see how it progresses. It'll be a good learning opportunity, and it can always be blended if the effort is fruitless (pun intended).

Yep. Needed a little softening. Surprised at how well it presented otherwise. Racked, dosed and gave it about 1.4 gr of the tannin extra riche.

Also surprising - I got a little more CO2 out of it this racking. I'm going to ride this out another 3 months in bulk. Rack and taste. Maybe bottle in August.

There was a bit o lees at the bottom hanging with the oak cubes (really surprised they all sank). Nothing heavy, but I lost about 375 ml of wine, give or take.

I topped up with the Merlot.

Definitely doable, but I'm going to ride it for a long while to see how it progresses. It'll be a good learning opportunity, and it can always be blended if the effort is fruitless (pun intended).

I'm pretty much stunned. Tried the Lodi cab a few weeks back and the improvement was marked, I was cautiously optimistic. Tried it yesterday and it was just wonderful, fruit was back nicely, tannins still pretty firm, and the oak was super. It's in bottles tonight waiting a few days to lay down for a long nap in the new room.

I'm pretty much stunned. Tried the Lodi cab a few weeks back and the improvement was marked, I was cautiously optimistic. Tried it yesterday and it was just wonderful, fruit was back nicely, tannins still pretty firm, and the oak was super. It's in bottles tonight waiting a few days to lay down for a long nap in the new room.

This is excellent news, John. How long will you age it before putting it in to rotation?

Back