Other Master Vintner Sommelier Select Nebbiolo - Looking For Tweaks!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmguptill

Chemist-turned-home-winemaker
Reaction score
I've had this kit sitting in the basement for a while, and I'm itching to give it a try. Curious if anyone has made it, or has suggestions. I don't see too many Master Vintner kits discussed on the forums here, maybe because you have to get them from midwest or northern brewer and their online prices are a bit high.

In any case, the picture shows what comes with the kit. Not too much, really. 16L of juice, two different packs of oak chips, and some raisins.

I'm definitely going to swap out the EC 1118 for rc-212. Will a generic yeast nutrient be ok for that swap? The LHBS sells a blend of DAP and urea.

I will also surely add some oak cubes after clarifying, and I'm going to skip the sorbate.

Other tweaks I'm considering:

With the raisins, I could do an extended maceration, but not sure if that's worth it for raisins, as opposed to skins. I am even considering chopping them up to get everything they have to offer... Thoughts? Never made a kit with raisins before.

Possibly some fermentation tannins up front.

Other thoughts for this wine style? Thanks for any and all suggestions!

kCg7JmKJ-4216991629.jpg

I personally wouldn't use nutrients containing urea. In the US the use of urea as a fermentation supplement is prohibited. The BATF has found that the use of urea is not considered acceptable in good commercial practice among wine producers and has rescinded the listing of urea as an authorized treatment (Federal Register, Vol. 55, No. 118, 24974-24982, 06/19/90).

Use Go-Ferm to hydrate the yeast and once started add Fermaid-O as a yeast nutrient. the raising are for tannin addition to the kit. extended use would not help. might consider using dried elderberries to accomplish same. a dosage of 4 oz for the kit would do add during fermentation. some elderberry flavor will persist in first four moths but this will dissipate and tannin will be relevant.

I have this arriving next week. Curious to know what you ended up doing and how it turned out - or still aging?

I bottled it about a month or two ago. It was about a year after pitching yeast (I used 212, didn't need extra nutrients).

I did chop up the raisins and I left them sit a good while longer in the wine (forget off the top if my head how long). I put the supplied oak chips in with the raisins. I also added some additional oak cubes about 3 months after fermentation, and added some finishing tannins (complex and/or riche extra I believe). Tasting it when I bottled, it will need more time. It was a little boring but I'm hoping that was just bottle shock.

Will be curious to hear what you do!

ok this is my way.................follow the flow simple and to the point

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 34
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 31
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 29
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 29
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 28
  • 8a.jpg
    8a.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 28
phase #2....................this was a middle of the road kit and turned out super ,follow the flow no matter what the mix has.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 30
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 30
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 30
  • 12a.jpg
    12a.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 27
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 29
  • 14a.jpg
    14a.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • 14b (2).jpg
    14b (2).jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 27
  • 14c.jpg
    14c.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20160212_172058685_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20160212_172058685_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 31
phase #2....................this was a middle of the road kit and turned out super ,follow the flow no matter what the mix has.
Thank you @joeswine ! I'll definitely add the French oak. You used the kit yeast? I saved my merlot skins from fall and was thinking about adding them into the mix as well for additional structure.

Question,these are still containe in the original form,then yes in the primary.
Yes EC1118.
Good plan as long as the fpac is new.the finish should take on a Super Tuscan style. NICE

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back