Easy Peesy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok here is another question: I just racked my mango wine from the primary fermenter to the first Carboy. I had about a gallon extra than wouldn't fit I saved it in a gallon water bottle. That is the slurry? Right??

Also I did not have another bung? So I put a rubber glove on until tomorrow until I can go to the wine store. I poked a hole with a pin to let the CO2 escape?

Is this ok?

How much slurry should I use or should I just follow the recipe with a yeast starter and save this to top off my Carboy after racking??

From what I understand so far, the left extra gallon is not the slurry. The slurry is the sediment left in the bottom of the primary after racking. That is where the yeast and other nutrients lay. That extra gallon is just that. An extra gallon. Hope this helps!!

Agreed but there is a lot of sediment in the bottom of the gallon how do you isolate that?

If you have a racking cane with an anti-sediment tip on it, you can get almost all the liquid off of the sediment. Other than that, just do the best you can.

Ok here is another question: I just racked my mango wine from the primary fermenter to the first Carboy. I had about a gallon extra than wouldn't fit I saved it in a gallon water bottle. That is the slurry? Right??

Just to reiterate what tatud said. That extra gallon is not the slurry. The slurry is the solids/slushy stuff left in the bottom of the fermenter after you rack off the wine. Save the gallon to top up the careboy later.

Also I did not have another bung? So I put a rubber glove on until tomorrow until I can go to the wine store. I poked a hole with a pin to let the CO2 escape?

Is this ok?

That will do fine. A lot of folks do it that way.

How much slurry should I use or should I just follow the recipe with a yeast starter and save this to top off my Carboy after racking??

I don't do the slurry thing. Just my personal choice. Good luck!

I'm currently branching out with my flavors, substituting other fruit for the triple berry blend. I've got cherry-lemon ("Le Mon Cheri") and blueberry-lemon ("Jet Blue") going even as I type. The only change I made to the recipe was the fruit used. My next plan is to try some of the Vinter's Harvest Wine Bases (since they have so many different fruits) with the lemon juice in the fermenter and see how they turn out.

ok Dave, I've got enough lemon to start 3 batches. Can I safely assume that it takes 6 pounds of the other fruit to substitute for the triple berry blend?

Are these tried and true recipes or are you experimenting?

The blueberry skeeter pee (Jet Blue) was one of the first I made using the Dragon Blood method/recipe. I got inspired to make more when I opened a nine month old bottle of the blueberry last week and just loved it! The cherry-lemon is an experiment, as well as the lemon-lime I have clearing---to which I have added some lime zest in everclear (the "littlemonkey" came out so good with the lemon zest, that I had to try some lime...we shall see).

I am only assuming that six pounds of any other fruit would safely substitute for the berries. I'm anxious to try some more. I'll have to see what other kinds of fruit I can get my hands on.

I'm currently branching out with my flavors, substituting other fruit for the triple berry blend. I've got cherry-lemon ("Le Mon Cheri") and blueberry-lemon ("Jet Blue") going even as I type. The only change I made to the recipe was the fruit used. My next plan is to try some of the Vinter's Harvest Wine Bases (since they have so many different fruits) with the lemon juice in the fermenter and see how they turn out.

You really are branching out in the flavors, keep us posted.

Ok I just made first batch of skeeter pee. (easy peasy)!!!!! I can't wait it smelled delicious like old fashion lemonade! I put the triple berries in will make starter tomorrow!!

just added my 3 tsp of nutrient and the second bottles of Lemon to my 3 batches of Pee. Almost time to bottle the Triple Berry Dragon Blood....

Dangerdave
When you talk about degassing how is that done?. Obviously I am not there yet. Have had a good fermintation starting in the skeeter pee since I got up this morning!

After fermentation and when you are adding your sorbate and K Meta, you will need to stir (like a madman) the wine in order to drive off the CO2 (unless, like me, your first wines are a bit "Fizzy"). You are removing the CO2 (de-gassing the wine). Let me recommend either a whip (that fits into a hand drill) or an Allinone pump for degassing. Both make degassing MUCH easier.

When degassing, have some beach towels ready and available. I've had fountains of wine shooting up out of the carboy during degassing with the whip on the drill.

Ok my skeeter pee is ready to rack in another Carboy and degas. How long do you degas for??

Yes I did stir it daily. Just added the potassium meta bisulfite, potassium sorbate and adding super-kleer next.

Ok my skeeter pee is ready to rack in another Carboy and degas. How long do you degas for??

I use the allinonewinepump to rack and degas. That's one of the reasons my wines clear so quickly. I got the vacuum pump because of my lack of success degassing by hand.

Dave

I have started degassing until I think I'm done then degass again the next day before adding Sparkolloid. I always get more out the next day.

So my skeeter pee has been degassed for a few weeks now it is clear but very dark. I just re racked it to night off the lees but it doesn't look as clear as some of the pictures I see on line. How long should it sit?? It is not cloudy just very dark in color from the berries.

Latest posts

Back