Easy Peesy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I'm not mistaken, that's what you want. As long as it is clear, it should be fine. My batch of zombie spit ( Dragon's blood) is a very nice shade of red. Can you post a pic for us to see please?

How do I post a picture on this forum. It would be good if I did it in the day light in the morning so you could see better.

I'm on my phone and can't remember. If you do it from your phone, there should be an advanced button next to the send button. You can select a pic from your phone or choose from camera which lets you take a pic. Then just upload and insert inline. After it uploads, click on it again and it will give you the insert inline option. That should do the trick for you. Hope this helps!!

So my skeeter pee has been degassed for a few weeks now it is clear but very dark. I just re racked it to night off the lees but it doesn't look as clear as some of the pictures I see on line. How long should it sit?? It is not cloudy just very dark in color from the berries.

It always looks darker in the carboy. In the bottle, it will look nice and red. ::

image-2063744991.jpg

Here is the skeeter pee what do you all think. I think it looks clear just dark in color.

dangerdave said:
I use the allinonewinepump to rack and degas. That's one of the reasons my wines clear so quickly. I got the vacuum pump because of my lack of success degassing by hand.

Dave

When you rack and degas do you do it only once, or do you transfer several times under vacuum to degas.

oh dear … i see an addiction in my future

cant wait to get an open primary … even if i have to chill it in the snowbank …

:u This is the current version of the Easy Peesy Recipe:
EASY PEESY (SKEETER PEE)

Ingredients: For a six gallon batch:

Step 1: To a cleaned and sanitized seven gallon primary, add---in this order:
2 bottles (48 oz each) 100% Lemon Juice (ReaLemon in the green bottle): if you want to recude the acid level use one bottle.
Water to about five gallons
20 cups of white granulated sugar (looking for a SG btw 1.085-1.09): use less sugar for lower final ABV. Stir sugar until completely desolved.
1 tsp. tannin (stir)
4 tsp. yeast nutrient (stir)
2 tsp. yeast energizer (stir)
3 tsp. pectic enzyme (stir)
6 lbs. of Triple Berry Blend (raspberry/blackberry/blueberry--available in most grocery store freezer sections), frozen then thawed, in a nylon fine mesh bag (tied shut), placed in primary: Give the bag a couple of squeezes to work in pectic enzyme. May also toss fruit directly into primary, but this makes for a "messier" fermentation and subsequently will require more clearing time and racking.
Top water to six gallons
Cover primary
Place brew belt: Keep temp in 70F-80F range.
Let sit undisturbed for 12-24 hours...

Step 2: To the primary fermenter, add:
1 packet of EC-1118 Yeast (starter, per yeast directions): Sprinkle yeast into one cup of warm water (100F), let sit for 15 minutes (no longer), stir and add to primary. Other yeast strains may also work well.
Stir Primary Vigorously!

Step 3: Each day, do the following, in this order:
Check temp
Check specific gravity
Squeeze juices from fruit pack into fermenter---remove friut pack: Temporarily place in sanitized bucket.
Stir primary vigorously: To introduce oxygen into must.
Replace fruit pack
Cover primary

Step 4: When specific gravity (SG) reaches <1.000, do the following:
Squeeze juices from fruit pack into fermenter---remove friut pack: Discard fruit.
Rack to cleaned and sanitized six gallon carboy
Degas very thoroughly: I cannot emphasize this enough!
Add 1 tsp. Potassium Metabisulfite (stir)
Add 3 tsp. Potassium Sorbate (stir)
Add Sparkolloid* (or other cleaing agent): *1 tbs in one cup of water simmered for about 30 minutes. Add hot mixture to carboy.
Allow to clear undistrubed for no less than 1 week

Step 4: When wine is clear:
Carefully rack off of lees into cleaned & sanitized six gallon carboy
Add 4-5 cups of white granulated sugar (stir until sugar is completely disolved): Add more or less sugar to taste. Remember! The sugars will blend with the berry flavors over time, and the sweetness will come forward. Do not over-sweeten!
Allow wine to clear free of all sediment: This may or may not require more racking over the next few weeks.

Step 5: When wine is completely clear:
Bottle in clear bottles
Note: Never bottle cloudy wine! NEVER!

Wine is drinkable right way, but may benefit from up to a year of aging.

PLEASE NOTE!!!

This recipe needs to have the sulphite reduced to 1/4 tsp in Step 4, a clerical error on my part. Also, this recipe can be used with many different kinds of fruit instead of the triple berry blend. I have made it using strawberries, blueberries, sweet red cherries, and a great tropical fruit blend (mango, pineapple, peach, strawberry). All were very good!

This recipe became the basis for my award winning Dragon Blood wine---recipe available in the Recipe Section of this forum.

Thank you!

hey DD .. i looked at the recipe and it looks like it's cut off part way into step 4 …

Last edited:
Dave, it is a wonderful recipe!!! I have used it with a quad berry blend, strawberries (which is an award winner itself!), blackberries and peaches, and is now currently fermenting as a cherry limeade batch!! It is the do all recipe!!! Thanks again for sharing!!!!!

I added blueberries to the triple berry mix, wow, it increased the acidity level a lot, no worries, I was able to adjust for it, but be careful....it may not taste like you are drinking an alcoholic beverage...lol....but then, all of a sudden...BAM!.....very nice recipe Dave!

And my recipe was derived from Lon "Skeeter Pee" DePoppe's original. If I haven't thanked him lately, I'll do so now...

Thanks, Lon! :try

Latest posts

Back