Easy Canned Grape Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scott

Reaction score
2 (12 oz.) cans frozen condensed grape juice (thawed)
1/4 tsp. dry yeast
4 1/2 c. sugar, dissolved in about 4 c. warm water

Put above ingredients in glass gallon jug, fill with warm water (leaved room at top). Place 10-cent ballon on jug top and set in warm place. When done working, the ballon will come back down. Cork.

Hopefully I'm not banned from the forum for posting this ez recipe
smiley33.gif
. Just trying something while waiting for the other wines.

I am just making this now so don't know how will taste, the balloonis now just about down after 2 months, was up to the size of a large grapefruit,took a reading and still at 1.120 sg.
20080710_111905_DSCN0617.JPG
Edited by: Scott

If your gravity is that after 2 months, you still have grape juice. I don't know what would of inflated the balloon as it wouldn't appear any fermentation happened as that would be the approximate SG of that juice with that amount of sugar added. In regards to posting that recipe here, no problem. Many of us have made the same recipe. It is basically the standard Welches recipe.

I will recheck the sg, if it is correct is it too late to try the stuck fermenting procedure? Or dump and try again????

uav

I take it that's a Wine Expert? is there one that you would recommend?

Scott, George has a wonderful selection of Wine Expert kits. They have easy understanding directions and also drinkable wines in a short period of time.

I am sure there are many here on the forum that would love to recommend a WE kit.
smiley4.gif

And the knowledge here is abundant.

If you check the SG and it is indeed still that high, I would dump it. It means that it never went through proper fermentation and is likely spoiled. I wouldn't want to drin it even if it did start getting fermenting eventually. I would actually start with a Mosti Vinifera Noble kit. They are inexpensive and have the reat quality of all Mosti's products. There is a good selection of them to choose from.

Checked the sg last night and it is 1.112, haven't dumped yet but will, such a shame.

I think what happened here is that the yeast was never given enoough oxygen to work It takes a fair amount of oxygen to let the yeast initially multiply. This is the reason wine is usually started in a separate primary fermentation vessel(bucket) It allows the wine to be stirred at the beginning to get oxygen to the yeast. Another possibility is that your juice concentrate contained sulfites. That prevents the yeast from multiplying also.

So yes, this is an easy recipe, but often ends in disaster. Airlocks and bungs are cheap. Go that route and you will be improving your chances vastly.

Ok dumped the batch, smelled like wine. Going to try again with airlock, might leave off for little while for air to get to.

Luck?? Yes that's what I need.

Thanks andkeep fingers crossed, also starting the Sauv Blanc tomorrow.

Whoo Hoo

I have used a recipe like this a couple of times but i have never been happy with the results.its pretty hard to degas and i use a whole pack of yeast.It pretty much tastes like flavored moonshine an its really high in alcohol but that might be the desired effect for some.

I am a pro at this one! For best results you need to place the jug in the back of you dorm room closet and cover withdirty clothes.I used a milk jug.(and you can taste it)you need an air space at the top and a small pinhole in the balloon.And it is best if you ad some acid blend (lemon juice) to help the PH. At the time I did not know why ,just that it fermented better.(2-3 weeks) 12%.Not the best stuff.
smiley11.gif
Edited by: Rocky Top

Giving it another try last night, adjusted the sugar so the sg was 1.082 + 3 for temp adjust = 1.085 starting, all in primary bucket for air space with lid and airlock, pitched yeast but didn't stir will see tonight if need to stir. if nothing else I'll find some dirty clothes to cover.

No stirring needed bubbling away nicely. Will check sg in few days to move to secondary. Keeping fingers crossed.

The primary firmintation on the welches can take up to three weeks. I check the sg every week. two weeks is fast.

Latest posts

Back