Easy Canned Grape Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Rocky Top,
Will have to use more of the waiting game then. That will give me time to gather some of the necessary items such as dirty clothes for carboy covers.

Here is my version of Welch's Concord Wine...

It was one you could drink early and everyone enjoyed it....it went fast.

~~~~~~~~~~~PRISON WINE~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

- 13-15 CANS FROZEN CONCORD CONCENTRATE [I used WalMart]

- 2 BOTTLES WINEXPERT RED GRAPE CONCENTRATE

- 2 ½# SUGAR [S.G. 1.094... little high....go easy on th sugar this stuff is sweet]
- 3 CAMPDEN TABLETS [figured everything was sterile...and you never know what they put in that juice]
- 1 ½ tsp TANNIN
- 6 tsp ACID BLEND [test if you can]

WATER TO 6-6½ GALLONS

NEXT DAY:
- 3 tsp PECTIC ENZYME
- 6 tsp YEAST NUTRIENT
- 3 tsp YEAST ENERGIZER
- MONTRACHET YEAST

In 3 days the S.G. was down to 1.025, racked to glass carboy[so this one fermented as usual]

Next time I think I would add a couple vanilla beans and some oak...just to layer the flavors a little.

ENJOY!!!

That looks good!! I think that I will try that recipe. Maybe 18 cans of grape andlots ofoak. I like full body dry and oaky. I would get a SG of 900 if I could.
smiley26.gif

Prison Wine???

Oh boy NW you have been around
smiley15.gif
. Just funnin

Thanks for the recipe now have to orderthe Tannin,Enzyme and everything else I don't have, must be time to order another kit too!!

If you are going to make a good Welches wine you will need most of the items in the prison wine recipe. Some for proper fermentation and the others for taste. I think that the tannin is a must when it comes to taste.

Rocky Top said:
That looks good!! I think that I will try that recipe. Maybe 18 cans of grape andlots ofoak. I like full body dry and oaky. I would get a SG of 900 if I could.
smiley26.gif

18 cans would be good...then you could leave out the Red Grape if you want. You could leave out a few cans and add raisins like some other folks do.

You could use more tannin if you like....

Watch your sugar addition....keep your hydrometer handy....S.G. of 1.085 will ferment dry....Just my 2¢.
Edited by: Northern Winos

If it's too dry could one backsweeten with a little fructose? Only making a gallon of it so not much to choke down.

Thanks

Scott, you can backsweeten. You would need to add potasium sorbate, then wait 3-4 days then add your sweetener. I added both at the same time once and the yeast took back off. (14+% and dry) oops! I waited 4 days then added more juce to sweeten.

If you use welches raspberry you can sweeten then place your jug in the fridge until you drink it. (raspberry and cranberryare not a red wine) It is not the best way but it works if you are not going to age it. Cranberry is my wife's favorite.

Northen Winos, Thanks for the tip on the raisins. I usewelchesas a cheep way to learn what will happen if I add this or do that.

Thanks for the advice, p sorbate is one thing I do have. Tested last night day 3 and measured 1.052. I am also going to try raisins next time, let us know how yours turns out Rocky Top.
I thought this would be good to take to Minnesota fishing for around the campfire but had to dump first batch and this one won't be done in time. Have a year to perfect it...

You should add K-meta and then Sorbate as Sorbate works much better in harmony with k-meta.

Bottled the grape today, must say it is pretty good. Had taken a picture of it but when resizing it to the 150 or smaller there is nothing much left to see in the picture?????? Try again tomorrow on different computer.

Use the Microsoft Picture resizer tool. It will shrink it without making it so you can't see it. It is a free download. Do a search here for it and you will get a link Masta had set up.

Thanks Appleman and Wade that's a big help.

Even the chickens liked the wine
smiley17.gif

20081111_190448_Grape_Wine_Pict.JPG
Edited by: Scott

Waldo, no oak this time, nice to get a batch that's drinkable first (still very unsure of what the h*ll I'm doing) then start messing with other additives. Heck I just starting to keep notes, baby steps
smiley4.gif

Thanks to all for the continual help!!!

Latest posts

Back