Dutch Apple Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kazmerzakr

Junior
Reaction score
I have 55 gallons of apple wine that will be ready to bottle shortly. To mix it up and avoid boredom, I'll break into smaller batches and make different wines. I'll make some plain apple, both semi-dry and sweet. I also hope to make some with cinnamon, and will blend some with Riesling, Rhubarb, and Raspberry. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. My question... I'd like to do a Dutch Apple. If I do the final back sweetening of one of the smaller batches with brown sugar, it will color the wine, but are there any problems with using brown sugar? Could I caramelize the sugar for added flavor?

I have 55 gallons of apple wine that will be ready to bottle shortly. To mix it up and avoid boredom, I'll break into smaller batches and make different wines. I'll make some plain apple, both semi-dry and sweet. I also hope to make some with cinnamon, and will blend some with Riesling, Rhubarb, and Raspberry. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. My question... I'd like to do a Dutch Apple. If I do the final back sweetening of one of the smaller batches with brown sugar, it will color the wine, but are there any problems with using brown sugar? Could I caramelize the sugar for added flavor?

Not sure what Dutch Apple is. However Brown suger does have a strong flavor. Some people do not like it fermented. Brown suger will color up the wine, just start with a small amount. The flavor may be different if using it to backsweeten. Try a single glass.
Brown suger should not cause any problems if you like the flavor. Apple wine takes flavors nicley. Anything you add will change it quite a bit. A little flavor will go a long way.

Apple and cranberries are good:). Any frozen 100% juice mix you like will blend well. I use one can per five galleon batch. Use more for stronger flavor or higher sweetening. (A little adds a lot!) I prefure dry wines so you may need to add suger as well for your taste.

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

If you have a couple of extra gal. apple makes a great base for jalapino wine. Just put a few in and let it sit as a secondary. if it doesn't get hot enough, add a few more. Only way to get some of the heat toned down tho is to add some more wine to it. LOL, Arne.

Back