Dragon Blood in 15 days!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you need more sugar. It is still on the light side for a sweeter wine. Try to get it up to 1.010 - 1.014.
Also, yes, it will mellow out over the next few months, as far as the lemon/acid flavor.

I agree with DJ, detlion. I have made the strawberry version before---called it Strawberry Sweet Tart. My wife loved it, and wants more. More sugar brings out the berry flavor much better. Ripe strawberries are sweet. If you want it to taste like a strawberry, time should be sweeter. I shoot for 1.010. That's about 4 1/2 cups of sugar for a six gallon batch.

Last edited:
My 5 gallon DB is clearing oh so nicely. Transferred from primary yesterday. Just the standard recipe until I can get more 5 or 6 gallon carboys.

ForumRunner_20130827_105234.jpg
(Also a 1 gallon apple and 3 gallon apricot)

Thanks all for the info on the strawberry version. Next time I'll try it at 1.010 or 1.015. Already been noted so I can keep track of things.

I also have a blueberry version of it. By my own experience I can't stand the flavor of this dry. I think I'll try taking this up to 1.025.

By my calculations, 2 1/2 cups of sugar raised 4 gallons by .005. So, I'll be adding a total of 12 1/2 cups of sugar to the blueberry. Man that seems like a lot, but it's sounding so good right about now.

I would bump your blueberry up to the same SG, 1.010 - 1.014. Try it. Then if you think it needs more, add it. 1.025 may be too sweet for you. Remember, you can always add more sugar, but you can't take it out.

Thanks all for the info on the strawberry version. Next time I'll try it at 1.010 or 1.015. Already been noted so I can keep track of things.

I also have a blueberry version of it. By my own experience I can't stand the flavor of this dry. I think I'll try taking this up to 1.025.

By my calculations, 2 1/2 cups of sugar raised 4 gallons by .005. So, I'll be adding a total of 12 1/2 cups of sugar to the blueberry. Man that seems like a lot, but it's sounding so good right about now.

Oh, that's a lot of sugar, detlion! I'd start with less...a lot less. The sweetness will come forward over time, and you can't take it out after you have put it in, but you can alway add more. Start with, say, five or six cups. That's the high end of sweet for me. Then add more later if it's not enough. You don't want a jug full of syrup that you can't hardly drink!

DJ and Danger, thanks guys!

I think I'll settle on 1.010 - 1.015. I'll probably start with 6 cups and see how that is.

I hope you meant "3 Campden Tablets + sorbate."
Yes, I did mean that, good catch. I always get them confused when writing about them, but know what I'm doing when looking at them.

I think I may have this thread beat by about 3 days. Im going on 11 days and its about as clear as glass. Tomorrow I may rack and backsweeten.

strawberry/cantaloupe....started 8.16.13, fermented 4 days till dry.
racked twice a day...on day 9 added super kleer,bottled on day 11.
pineapple started 8.25. fermented 4 days..i have racked twice.
this batch will be bottle in start to finnish in 12 days.
both of these batches i double the yeast nutrient/engergizer and pitched yeast twice once to start, then 1 day later i pitched again.
very fast ferment for both batches. racked when i saw 1/2 inch of sediment, sometimes twice a day...when it was less the 1/2 inch
i added super kleer.

strawberry/cantaloupe....started 8.16.13, fermented 4 days till dry.
racked twice a day...on day 9 added super kleer,bottled on day 11.
pineapple started 8.25. fermented 4 days..i have racked twice.
this batch will be bottle in start to finnish in 12 days.
both of these batches i double the yeast nutrient/engergizer and pitched yeast twice once to start, then 1 day later i pitched again.
very fast ferment for both batches. racked when i saw 1/2 inch of sediment, sometimes twice a day...when it was less the 1/2 inch
i added super kleer.

Dang. That's a fast track. I decided to let it sit for a while just to be sure. Dont wanna rush it and cause an issue in the bottle.

James is the Master Rapid Wine Maker! Amazing! Hard to believe you can make a good wine that quickly. Good info, James!

i am starting some black & red today...8 lbs of black berries and 8 lbs of strawberries...going to do the exact same thing and see if this batch is number 3 for under 12 days...

Is there a difference in taste when you make a batch that rapidly? I think I've read that the wine will have a different flavor when the yeast fermented under stress.

i dont think i stressed the little yeasties too much.
to me it taste the same as a wine that took 10 days to ferment.

Hello everybody, I'm a new wine maker and have been lurking here for a couple months. After making two 1 gallon batches of apple wine, I decided to step it up and make a 5 gallon batch of Dragon Blood. I followed the recipe pretty close (after converting to five gallon) but used 2 pound each of raspberries and blueberries and one pound each of strawberries and blackberries. I had a rotten egg smell but have gotten rid of it thanks to you guys! My question is about the berry taste, it isn't noticeable at all right now, all I taste is the alcohol and the lemon at this point. Should I think about adding some juice or concentrate when I backsweeten or will the berry taste come out with the sugar?

The sugar will bring out the berry flavor. After all, berries have an element of sweet, do they not? It sounds like you used plenty of fruit in the making. More fruit flavor is good, so if you don't get what you want after adding sugar, you can cook down some fruit and make an extract to boost the flavor. It's all good!

Alright thank you Dave I guess I was worrying about nothing. Thank for this recipe also!

Ar1527,
The taste will change will quite a bit after it has been in the bottle for 2-3 months. Much more berry flavor and not as much lemon.

Latest posts

Back