Dragon Blood in 15 days!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the help! I've started noticing a slight finger nail polish remover smell and taste now. Is it possible that this came from splash racking to get rid of the H2S (I think this is the right abbreviation) or is a slight smell and taste common from the lemon juice?

i doubt is from the h2s, maybe its a combination of bung smell and alcohol.
i have never had a batch smell are taste like you describe. so i dun no...

Alright I think this batch is doomed for the drain. The nail polish remover smell and taste is just too much. I didn't have any yeast energizer so I just used a little extra nutrient. I think I have narrowed this down to be the problem. Thanks for the help! I'd also like to add that I'm part of two more forums and this is by far the most helpful and friendly. Thanks again!

very strange that a dragon blood did not come out..Its almost a perfect recipe for a early drinker.
i triple the amount of fruit for my dragon blood....i think that 6 lbs is just to light for my taste.
hope you try it again, because it is just excellent cold.

I'm planning on trying again. I just have to "sample" a little bit more before I throw this out. I hate wasting it but it is pretty much undrinkable.

maybe this will save it..
take 4 lbs of strawberries, take the stem off.
chop and add to pot with 2 lbs sugar, and one cup of water. cook on low for about an hour, and keep skimming off the white lather that builds on top.
after cooking for an hour, let it cool, strain it and add to wine.
let the wine clear, and it should be very drinkable.

Thank you for the suggestion but I've been adding a berry f-pack to some samples I've pulled from my batch and there's no saving it.

you may be the first to have this happen...
next time you, if there is a next time...ask for help early on...everyone here will do there best to give you good info....

I am planning on starting again in the next couple weeks, the only yeast I have on hand are Cote de blancs, Pasteur Champagne, a Montrachet. I'm leary of use the Montrachet because I've read that it causes an h2s problem and since I've already had this once I think it would be best to use something else. I'm thinking the Cote de blancs would be better since it is supposed to bring out fruit favors but if I need to order another type I will.

I use pasteur red in most of mine...Sometimes premier curvee..
the premier curvee is a fast yeast, and can make the temp go up in the carboy quite a bit.
both are a high abv yeast

I use Lalvin EC-1118 for almost everything I do now. I find its Sulphite tolerance, the wide temperature range it can work (very) well in, and the high alcohol tolerance are an unbeatable combination and allows me to worry less about starting conditions...

I'd be interested to hear any cons against EC-1118 that folks here may know about!

My next order I am going to buy a couple of the Lalvin yeast, I havent tried any yet...the ec-1118 and 71b is what i want to try.

I use Lalvin EC-1118 for almost everything I do now. I find its Sulphite tolerance, the wide temperature range it can work (very) well in, and the high alcohol tolerance are an unbeatable combination and allows me to worry less about starting conditions...

I'd be interested to hear any cons against EC-1118 that folks here may know about!

I too trust nothing but the ec-1118 at this point, but I have heard it can strip some of the fruit flavours...

I too trust nothing but the ec-1118 at this point, but I have heard it can strip some of the fruit flavours...
I've heard the same thing, off and on, but there's been nothing either way from anyone I trust.
Jack Keller, of whom I assume everyone here has heard of, says this about EC-1118:
Lalvin EC-1118 (Prise de Mousse) : This is the original, steady, low foamer, excellent for barrel fermentation or for working on heavy suspended pulps. It is one of the most popular wine yeasts in the world. It ferments well at low temperatures, flocculates well, and produces very compact lees. It is good for Champagne bases, secondary (bottle) fermentations, restarting stuck fermentations, and for late harvest grapes. It is also the yeast of choice for apple, crabapple, cranberry, hawthorn, and cherry wines. It has excellent organoleptic properties and should be in every vinter's refrigerator. Alcohol toxicity is 18% and it ferments relatively fast. It tolerates temperatures from 39-95° F. It is not, however, tolerant of concurrent malolactic fermentation.

I think picking a yeast is like picking a Ketchup, there is so many brands so many different kinds....i started with red star, that is all i have used.
I am however going to try the Lalvin just to see if there is a difference, I really do n0t think i will see much change...

Can't argue with that! :h Just please, do yourself a favour, and don't use Fleishmann's bread yeast .... . .. . :)

lol, i do not think i will make that mistake.. i do not bake bread anymore, since i found the frozen dough...easy to take out of freezer, let rise, and bake......

Good news! I decided to try my DB one last time today and the bad smell/taste is completely gone! I don't know what happened but it actually taste like wine again! Now I just have to find a way to bring back some of the berry flavor, I started a gelatin f-pack that I saw and another post and will be hoping that it turns out good.

Good to hear, Ar1527! I have had several wine that didn't seem "right" until I let them sit for a while. Aging does wonders, even for the DB. Experimentation is fun, but there are always risks involved. That's another reason the DB is so useful. The ingredients are relatively cheap, so if you fudge a batch, it's no big loss.

Different yeasts do make for different wines. The EC-1118 is a staple in my Lab; perfect for the DB. However, I'm about ready to start a new yeast comparison btw the Lavin EC-1118 and the Red Star Premier Cuvee, using the standard DB recipe.

I think picking a yeast is like picking a Ketchup, there is so many brands so many different kinds....i started with red star, that is all i have used.
I am however going to try the Lalvin just to see if there is a difference, I really do n0t think i will see much change...

What do you mean there are other brands?
I could have sworn there is heinz and only heinz. This is all I have ever seen in my house!

Same thing with Mayo, everytime I asked my old man what other kinds of mayo there are he would just say "Hellmans, there is nothing else!"

Anyhow someone mentioned that Lalvin 1118 is a "low foamer".
I have always had the opposite, it foams like crazy, so much so that when I dont get good foam I am convinced something is wrong!

Latest posts

Back