Dragon Blood in 15 days!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very good, ou8amaus! I hope you enjoy the recipe. It's a fun wine!

I'll be out of the hosue this week---going to Virginia Beach---but if you have any questions/concerns, ask some of the others here. We have a fine group of DB experts that can help steer you straight. I'll check up on you next weekend to see how the fermentation's going.

Good luck! And good wine! :b

Edit: Did you get the pdf file (Wine Made Easy) containing the most recent version of the recipe? Located here: http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum...rry-skeeter-pee-33076/index11.html#post425337

Last edited:
Day 13 My DB is now down to 1.020
Reading and re-reading the directions am I to understand that DB never goes to secondary Ferm in a carboy?

Day 13 My DB is now down to 1.020
Reading and re-reading the directions am I to understand that DB never goes to secondary Ferm in a carboy?

That is correct, usually no need to. Did you use the exact recipe of Dave's, or change it up? I ask because DB is normally down below 1.000 in 7-10 days on average.

That is correct, usually no need to. Did you use the exact recipe of Dave's, or change it up? I ask because DB is normally down below 1.000 in 7-10 days on average.

I used exact recipe*.
I keep stirring and squeezing. I have the brew belt on, the lid off 1/4 of the way.
All I can think of is that my house does fluctuate a bit with the heat and cold at night but the brew belt was supposed to even that out.

The only thing I can think of is my house is a black hole for fermentation.
All my fermentaation is slow!

* except 2 extra cups of sugar (I had 2 cups left in the bag, and I like my wine a little bit stronger)

I got nothing for you then. My house stays around 68-72 (depending on time of year) and my DB is usually below 1.000 in 8-9 days. My starting SG is normally around 1.080. I don't use a brew belt.
I think just wait it out and let it drop. Sounds like it is fermenting, albeit a little slow.

I got nothing for you then. My house stays around 68-72 (depending on time of year) and my DB is usually below 1.000 in 8-9 days. My starting SG is normally around 1.080. I don't use a brew belt.
I think just wait it out and let it drop. Sounds like it is fermenting, albeit a little slow.

It could be that Since I added 2 extra cups, maybe that added to the extra sugar content of the wine and I just have more sugar to burn!

:r

one of my batches is still fermenting in secondary...my hydrometer was way off..
I moved to secondary when it hit 1.000, but it was not 1.000, it really was 1.098...it still fermenting. after 12 days

It could be that Since I added 2 extra cups, maybe that added to the extra sugar content of the wine and I just have more sugar to burn!

:r

What was your starting gravity? It could be the yeast has 'fermented itself to death' and you're done. Just less to backsweeten, if that's the case.

one of my batches is still fermenting in secondary...my hydrometer was way off..
I moved to secondary when it hit 1.000, but it was not 1.000, it really was 1.098...it still fermenting. after 12 days

I am not going to go to secondary on my initial batch. I am following the directions to a T (or is it Tee?).
Anyway I wonder the difference in going to secondary, I have to imagine it slows Ferm down, but what does it do to the flavor.

Please let me know how it works out?

What was your starting gravity? It could be the yeast has 'fermented itself to death' and you're done. Just less to backsweeten, if that's the case.

I am nowhere near done.
My Starting SG was 1.090
And I still have a nice thick layer of foam and bubbles and the sounds of wine cooking hard!

Found ya through the sister (HBT) site!

The soon to be wife loves strawberry daqueries (as well as most of the female family members), myself, I find they are too sweet for my taste buds and give me headaches.

I currently have 10 gallons going (both pitched 4/22/2013), but they aren't de-gassed.

The wedding is in 2 months. I'm starting to fear that I won't have enough, or 1 won't be ready, or worst case, both!

So this thread was an awesome read. I'm currently making up 2 versions with non-fruit (juice/extract/etc).

Batch 1 (5g):
48oz 100% Lemon Juice
5 Cans 100% Strawberry Concentrate (I normally do about 10-12 cans for 5g by itself)
1 tsp Tannin
4 tsp Yeast Nutrient
2 tsp Yeast Energizer
5 Gallons Water (slightly more than 5g total, but accounting for racking once)
Sugar to about 1.085

Batch 2 (5g):
48oz 100% Lemon Juice
2 Gallons 100% Blueberry Juice
1 tsp Tannin
4 tsp Yeast Nutrient
2 tsp Yeast Energizer
3 Gallons Water (slightly more than 5g total, but accounting for racking once)
Sugar to about 1.085

How pronounced is the lemon flavor? I'm trying to make it not pronounced but still slightly there with 1/2 of the original recipe amount.

the secondary is so you can see the sediment before you bottle...when you add to secondary it really should be fermented completely...run it by dave.
I have a batch in a 5 gallon clear carboy, i can watch the sediment and the fermentation before it goes to bottling

In January I made a 1 gallon batch, bottled 5 750ml's and put them in the rack for a bit, gave a few to my kids, who raved about it as a wine cooler over ice with a shot of seltzer. Ok, glad you liked it i thought but I haven't tried it yet myself.

So, last night I opened one over ice with a bit of seltzer, it was friggin' great on a hot summer night. Many rave reviews, so, I just started a three gallon batch, worth the effort.

Great recipe, thanks...

Tony

Ok I was getting ready to add the yeast to my dragons blood and realized I don't have any EC-1118 yeast. I do however have 71B-1122. I know the 71B is used for fruit wines and was wondering if this can be substituted for the 1118. Any concerns with using it. Thanks.

Just started on the DB train yesterday!

3 gallon batch
11 cups sugar
32oz Realemon
Tannin
Yeast energizer
Yeast nutrient
3 bags trader joes berry medley

SG 1.085 before fruit
Pitched ec-1118 yeast this morning @ 75F

Will post pics tonight!

Here is my log, should I be worried? I know it's only been a few days but any reason why the gravity really didn't go down today?

recipe according to dangerdave - cut in half for a 3G batch

6/23/13 mixed ingredients, SG 1.085
6/24/13 AM pitched EC-1118 yeast
6/25/13 PM temp 73.5 - SG 1.080
6/26/13 PM temp 77.2 - SG 1.078

What a great group of people making DB! I hope it's going well for everyone.

detlion1643: I use as much lemon juice as you are using. I found the reduced lemon juice (48 oz) was perfect for me and my wife. There will be a nice hint of the lemon after bottling, but the longer you let it sit, the more the berries take over. After several months---if you can keep some that long---the tartness has smoothed out and the fruit is up front and personal! It will be awesome!

Shelley: As a matter of fact, the next two batches I make will be a comparison of the EC-1118 vs 71B-1122. I have used both in the past, but do not have the final product to compare. As the 71B is supposed to be excellent for fruit wines, it should make a great DB!

Scottvin: Don't be concerned. Keep stirring and squeezing, and it will turn out just fine.

Longtrain: I have got to get me some seltzer! That sounds nice! Keep it coming!

I ended up with this:
- 32oz lemon juice
- 8lbs frozen strawberries (packages said no sugar added)
- water/sugar to 1.085
- 4 tsp Yeast Nutrient
- 2 tsp Yeast Energizer
- 1 pk montrachet yeast

Fermented to 0.992 in under a week, in which I racked to a 5 gallon better bottle. I, unfortunately, only got about 4 gallons out of it, so there is some headspace in my carboy. I campden'd and sorbate'd during this initial racking. When clear, do I need to campden and sorbate again, or should I just add my sugar right into the carboy?

Did you use Sparkloid already too?
When clear, just add sugar to sweeten to your liking. You don't need more campden and sorbate. It should be clear in a couple of weeks at most.

No sparkeloid. Only been in the carboy about 2 1/2 weeks so far. I do have a packet of isinglass as that's all the local store carries. I'm unsure about using it, the package says it for 6 gallons. Also, I think I'd rather use it on a newly racked batch rather than one already in the carboy for 3 weeks. It is clearer already than when it was racked, so it's looking good!

Latest posts

Back