Does wine degas itself over time?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abefroman

Reaction score
Does wine degas itself over time?

If I leave it under an airlock bulk aging for 6mo-1yr, will all the CO2 be gone?

Its possible but there is no guarantee in that time line. You could test it after your wine is completely clear by putting some in a bottle and shaking it up with your thumb on top of it. If it releases gas like a pop bottle does it is not degassed. You could also give it a good stiff stir and see if any bubbles come up. Wine will eventually degas over time though.

It really depends on how you go about racking each time and temps and what you fermented and if you pressed it post or near post fermentation. Wine from red grapes due to the procedure will mostly or completely degass it self where as wine kits usually wont. Temps play a big role especially in kits as cooler temps will keep C02 in suspension. I have had a few kits that after about 8 months bulk aging didnt degass much at all while wine from grapes never even needed degassing.

Like Dan said...no guarantee...but in general the answer would be yes...the longer the time the more increased odds...temp would play a role...the warmer the better..yet that is not the best for aging

w grapes and a pressing after fermentation you pretty much take care of the gas problem...if its a kit then you need to bank on using a drill whip or a degassing pump or a simple brake bleeder set up

Not in my humble experience. I bottled a merlot made from juice after bulk aging for a year. It is a sparkling merlot now. For 12 bucks I bought a degasser for my drill and degass at every rack. No problems anymore. It is a pretty inexpensive problem to solve.

I find that all my fruit wines degass themselves usually within a month. Of course I live in a climate where the average temperature year round is mid 70's meaning 70 to 80 during the day.

i just did a sixty gallon batch of peach...and see the same thing...degasses by itself

Indeed the answer is yes but there is no guaranty however:

I never degas my wines and all my wines clear splendidly.

Time is your friend.

Luc

Indeed the answer is yes but there is no guaranty however:

I never degas my wines and all my wines clear splendidly.

Time is your friend.

Luc

How long do you typically age yours for?

I have never degassed any of my wine and have never had a problem with the corks popping out. But I do let mine sit for a year or so.

Latest posts

Back