do you stir mead.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1\2 cup honey, 2 cups water, some yeast nutrient. Once it got to bubbling I added 3\4 quart of the must. It went crazy for about 12 hours before slowing down.v once it slowed I added another quart of must and got it going crazy again. Kept doing that till I had 3 quarts of starter then pitched it. Took about 48 hours in all. Once I pitched the starter I checked the gravity. It was 1.042 and that's where it stayed. Mixed the mead 3 times or more a day. Kept the temp at 75 and not a thing happened.

Yep, try again. The gravity of your starter was a little to high and during the rehydration phase yeast nutrient is toxic to yeast. Try for a gravity of around 1.020, and no yeast nutrient but a rehydration nutrient such as go ferm for the yeast. Then over time add more and more must.

Sorry, perhaps I should have been more clear.. I would try one more time... Yeast is cheap honey is not.

I forgot to say that I added 1118 yeast to my starter. I am now totally out of yeast and can't get up to the store till around the 23rd. But I'll go for it again as soon as I can. This isn't fun lol.

Depending on how much you care about your mead you might want to get to that a little bit sooner. It is kind of sitting in an awkward spot.. I would rack to carboy for now if you must wait that long.

One other thing to consider (as a last resort) is to dilute your must/mead a bit just to lower the gravity by perhaps 10 points to see if it will start up again (possibly with another starter).

Back