do you stir mead.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I added the starter about 4 hours ago and the sg dropped from 1.060 to 1.052 so looks like all systems are go again. Thanks for the info

It was about 1 1\2 quarts. Water 1\2 cup of honey yeast nutrient and energizer with about 3\5 pack of EC1118 yeast

Make sure that the gravity is still moving downard. It is possible that the gravity only changed since you diluted the mead.

What I would do is add a bit at a time of your stuck mead to the starter to acclimate it, then in 48 hrs, or when the starter is really rocking, add the entire starter to your batch.

Make sure that the gravity is still moving downard. It is possible that the gravity only changed since you diluted the mead.
I think that may be what happened. It's been over 12 hours with no further change. However there is a layer if bubbles on the mess when there wasn't before

Give it some air, stir the mead. Did you transfer it into an open container? The bubbles on top are promising.

The starter is going and bubbling away. I added the first portion of the stuck mead. How long am I supposed to wait before adding more.

I would keep an eye on the activity, and when it appears things are dying down in the starter, add some more of your stuck mead. It shouldn't take too long for most of the sugars to be fermented out. The point is to get the yeast acclimated to your stuck mead before adding it all.

Yes it's in a bucket covered with an UN snapped down lid.

And are you working some air into it from time to time?

Normally I would not advice putting too much air into the ferment once you get it rolling.... However, I believe a stuck ferment is a greater risk than the potential consequences of getting too much air in.....

I'm giving it a good stir once a day with a paddle attached to a drill. To much?

Ok. I just came home hand found my hydrometer broken. S so I'm playing the guessing game till I can get a new one.

When you buy one, buy two instead! That is what I did last time I broke one. It does two things for you: (1) you'll have a backup if you break the first one, and (2) you'll never break the first one, because you prepared for that eventuality! :)

When you buy one, buy two instead! That is what I did last time I broke one. It does two things for you: (1) you'll have a backup if you break the first one, and (2) you'll never break the first one, because you prepared for that eventuality! :)
So very true. Whats really a heartbreak is i was at the brew store today and was looking at them and i didnt know why. I think the wine Gods were hinting that i needed a new one.

Ok so I got a new hydrometer today and tested the mead and sill no change. Still sitting at 1.052. Anything else I can try before declaring it a loss

Try making a strong starter using ec1118 rehydrated in go ferm. Do as southernchemist said over a period of time add the mead to your starter over a few days. Once the volume is large ( a quart or so) pitch it into the mead. Give it plenty of air once you pitch it in.

How long will the mead keep? My local store doesn't have go ferm I'll have to order it on payday a week away.

What is the ABV on the mead? You can skip the go ferm if it will really take that long to get it. It just helps having it.

Back