do you stir mead.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The calculations say it's 9.32% OG 1.123 FG 1.052

I'll get it going tonight. Is all this yeast I'm adding gonna cause an if flavor? This will make it 3 packs of yeast total

Cool. The new starter has been made. I'll slowly add must to it over the next 2 days and pray

I'll get it going tonight. Is all this yeast I'm adding gonna cause an if flavor? This will make it 3 packs of yeast total

It would increase the risk of off flavors if you left all the yeast sediment in the mead for a long period of time (months), but at this point it should not cause a problem. I would keep checking my starter for signs of activity after every addition of must. If it looks like it's fermenting your stuck mead well after a couple of additions, dump the whole starter in your mead. If by some chance something is wrong, you will know before you've added everything together.

I suppose in the worst case scenario, you'll either have a very very sweet mead or something that you can use for blending purposes. Might go well blended with a dry mead.

I added some must before work today and when I went home on lunch it was bubbling away. I'm gonna add a little more must when I get off work.

I think there is hope. The starter was bubbling once every 10 seconds or so and after I added the last amount of must its bubbling every 2 seconds. I should be pitching the starter tonight.

Still no action. I'm starting to think it's as fermented as it is gonna get.

Still nothing on the mead. I gave it a taste. Was not sweet at all. More like soy sauce lol. I'm gonna rack it into a carboy and forget about it for a year and see what happens.

Get a pack of EC1118 or Premier Cuvee, make a starter, when it gets bubbling add an equal volume of your mead, let it eat some of that and then add another volume of your mead and after it bubbles that dump it into your mead and stir the snot out of it. Also, how much did you cook your honey, if you really really caramalized it some people think that there are sugars left that the yeast cant eat and leave the sg high. D47 at this high a temp not the best choice, its usually suggested for cooler lighter styles, a Bochet is big and meaty, a K1V1116 would also be a good choice. WVMJ

Back