Do you really filter bid reds?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geek

Still lost.....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you really filter big reds?

I racked a Cab Sav and a Malbec (both Chilean) and a Malbec kit.
These are very dark wine (like them..!!).

It looks like after a couple racks there's no really need to filter before you bottle....:h

Nobody will notice any tiny sediments left, if any, right?

Thoughts.....

I meant (typo) "big reds", not "bid reds"....:ib

I changed the title of this thread but the site didn't update it..

I have the AIO and a filter but man these reds are so dark that make me think....

BTW - Dan, have you used oak spirals twice (re-use after first use)?
I put american heavy toast spirals in 3 batches and let them there for about 5~6 weeks, after racking I put them back in even though the oak flavor is very good.

Wondering if any negative impact, they probably gave most of their essence.

What are the consequences of not filtering. I thought filtering could reduce intensity of flavor.

That is what I was trying to figure out, these reds are very flavor-full right now with only just over 3 months, very tasty that I was wondering if I filter the flavor may take a hit...:?

I have not seen that happen.When filtering, always dump your first three bottles back into the carboy. This way any color stripped out of first bottle or extra sanitizer going into the first few bottles won't be concentrated in just a few bottles.Wineries for the most part filter everything.

Filtering does not change flavor of a wine. Best way it was told to me, pit here your arm as the flavor molecule, and California as the hole in the filter, hole is why to large to trap flavor...

I've never done a kit, so take this with a grain of salt, but from what I've read on here they design them so you can make wine with the utmost speed. I let my wine settle for longer and longer periods of time between rackings. 3-6 months toward the end. I haven't seen a need for filtering.

"Need" is the operative word you used. So far, with now 5 kits worth of experience, I've not found or seen a need to filter. However, I do want to at least give filtering a try if for no other reason then to see what difference it might make. I suspect. for me, the noticeable difference will only be in the appearance of the finished wine... the "polished" look that I've read about.

I think mostly it becomes a personal preference to filter or not. That being said I had a dandelion wine that even though it was perfectly clear had a dinginess or dullness to it. After I filtered it I was a believer in filtering my wines. It went from dull to bright. A total transformation IMO!!! I have a thread on here somewhere that shows me filtering it with before and after pics. Take a look it might just change your mind about filtering!!

BOB

Well said Bob. If you have a perfectly clear wine, that's fine and it'll be appealing to everyone. Like Bob said if you filter that same wine, it's amazing the difference between the two of them. I look for the sparkling wine and if I'm judging a competition it does make a difference.

I do not filter my wine and I get crystal clear wine that stays clear after many months in the bottle. However, it is a personal choice in wine making technique. If I was to frequent competitions or make much more wine than I presently do I would consider filtering. But for me who might make 40 gallons a year TOPS I do not see a need for it.

Personal choice though.

I don't filter. I use a clarifier on whites but just good ol' time and patience on reds.

Finally, now that you mentioned clarifier....
I wonder if you can/should use super kleer on these dark reds?

I've been using super kleer for some time on my lighter color blends and fruit wine; but honestly this is the first time I make pure dark red wine without blending with white wine.
Out of these 3 batches I have a Malbec kit that came with clearing agent.

I guess I should use super kleer for the non-kit Malbec and Cab Sav, right?

I have not seen that happen.When filtering, always dump your first three bottles back into the carboy. This way any color stripped out of first bottle or extra sanitizer going into the first few bottles won't be concentrated in just a few bottles.Wineries for the most part filter everything.

Can you bottle straight from the filter with the All in one wine pump?

I do not filter the big reds. I see no reason for it because you will not wee a difference. I di rack 3 or 4 times though. I filter all my whites.

Latest posts

Back