Do we have a hunting topic?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Both. The times I get out I haven't been seeing anything. But I haven't been getting out as much either. I still have til dec 31. Hopefully I can at least get out a few more times.

Tenbears.. I found your bottle of wine, but unfortunately the bottle was empty when I found it.

Calvin.. You should get the gold medal for best avatar! That's one of my favorite movies of all time! I could start quoting lines from the movie here, but that would too off topic.

No venison here this year. The deer herd is still recovering from a bout with EHD. Really knocked the population down. I decided not to take a doe this year and didn't see any bucks while hunting. Don't work at it very hard anymore, either. Anyway, now time to call coyotes and bobcats. Been out 3 times, two coyotes and one cat. Life is good. Arne.

Was a good year! My sons was an archery bull and mine was a rifle. Elk roast taste good with a glass of Shiraz, from a kit tweaked with oak chips and chocolate nibs, <<<mmmmm>>> Made lots of sausage so far and need to finish up with jerky and sticks.

Wow, a very good year! Is that a head shot on yours?

Yes it is, tried to cover it up before pictures but it was -18degF that morning so it froze instantly. Not a lot of people notice that ☺

NICE bulls... and then the work began...been there!!

Both bulls were boned and packed out on our backs, but they were both also < a mile to the truck so all in all not bad.

Yes it is, tried to cover it up before pictures but it was -18degF that morning so it froze instantly. Not a lot of people notice that ☺

That's the humane way to go, if you're a good enough shot.

lol, thus is a hunting thread, so members need to understand there will be blood. Congrats! My husband would love to go elk hunting!

That's the humane way to go, if you're a good enough shot.

Here is the story, was 400 yard shot. I missed the first time [overshot] and was aiming for a high shoulder the second time. My range finder would not pick him up so I guessed him at 500 and turned turret to 500 yards but he was only 405 [range finder worked when we got to where he was and ranged back to where I shot from] The second shot was high also but his head was inline ;););)

Here is the story, was 400 yard shot. I missed the first time [overshot] and was aiming for a high shoulder the second time. My range finder would not pick him up so I guessed him at 500 and turned turret to 500 yards but he was only 405 [range finder worked when we got to where he was and ranged back to where I shot from] The second shot was high also but his head was inline ;););)

Sometimes, its better to be lucky than good. :)

That's a long shot. I'm just impressed you hit him at all. Especially after one shot missed.

Late to the party here. Wow, 21 pheasants in ND. Impressive. Three of us went last year, hunted hard for a week and got 12. Four years before one of the guys (who grew up there) took another friend and they always limited out by 10am. Always my luck with pheasants, but dang do I love hunting them. We did get a few Canada and snow geese to mix in the pot though. The spaniel is now beyond doing another long hunt though.

IMG_2103.JPG

Bob Marshall Wilderness, Montana, backback hunt, 2008. 680 yard shot. Three hour hike over a 3000 ft climb to get him out.

IMG_2087.JPG

430 yards, same day. It was a good day. :D

2011-09-22_18_57_46.jpg

2011, Montana's Missouri Breaks, with a bow at 30 yards. What a thrill. Much shorter back out but 90 degrees. Ugh.

Nice deer and elk! 4 years ago there was pheasants everywhere in North Dakota. We used to shoot them out of the duck blind. Last year was the worst I have seen. 2014 was a little better

Bob Marshall Wilderness, Montana, backback hunt, 2008. 680 yard shot. Three hour hike over a 3000 ft climb to get him out.

680 yard shot, that's impressive. Even prone, rested, locked in and ranged you've still got, most likely, to contend with wind drift.

The furthest out I've taken a deer was 32 yards and the average yardage probably works out to around 18 or so yards. All taken with bow of course.

Latest posts

Back