Do we have a hunting topic?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
680 yard shot, that's impressive. Even prone, rested, locked in and ranged you've still got, most likely, to contend with wind drift.

The furthest out I've taken a deer was 32 yards and the average yardage probably works out to around 18 or so yards. All taken with bow of course.

Yes the wind is always the hard part, especially shooting across a gap between mountains. I shot him twice where I wanted to, but he didn't react at all but I heard the first one hit so I thought maybe I'd mis-judged the wind and held for more, which caused the spot on his nose but allowed us to see the dirt kick up. So I sent a third one in the lungs and that got it done. Elk are tough animals.

We considered a trip to SD for pheasants but my spaniel is just too old to do it. So we're going to WY for antelope and prairie dogs instead.

Way to go!! I am ranged out to 650 yards but don't shoot elk over 500, to BIG and I only shoot a 7mm rem mag and feel the power dies off after that. Way to go on the shot.

The ranchers will love you for getting rid of those prairie dogs.

I can only hope we can find some ranchers willing to give us access. The public land situation in Thunder Basin Grasslands is murky and I still need to call local game officers to gain an understanding of where to go. But I'm buying parts to build a 243AI and hope to be ready for 800-1000yd shots. I've neck-turned 200 Lapua cases while waiting for the barrel.

So much to get done before the vineyard takes over my time... :D

Way to go!! I am ranged out to 650 yards but don't shoot elk over 500, to BIG and I only shoot a 7mm rem mag and feel the power dies off after that. Way to go on the shot.

I personally go for bigger holes...lot of people swear by 7mm but I know people who lost animals they don't think they should have, so I went 30cal. 338 is probably better but recoil is up up up to get to long range with those weights.

Indiana has weird deer rifle regs (which will likely change) so I do have a .358 wildcat rifle which slightly exceeds 35 Whelen performance. Next I go west for rifle elk I am torn between my very heavy 300WM and my very light 358 WSM 1.8".

I was shocked how well that elk absorbed the hits. My very first shot was mortal but once you know you hit you keep shooting until they are down, is my ethics. If I thought I'd missed I would have stopped there.

I personally go for bigger holes...lot of people swear by 7mm but I know people who lost animals they don't think they should have, so I went 30cal. 338 is probably better but recoil is up up up to get to long range with those weights.

Indiana has weird deer rifle regs (which will likely change) so I do have a .358 wildcat rifle which slightly exceeds 35 Whelen performance. Next I go west for rifle elk I am torn between my very heavy 300WM and my very light 358 WSM 1.8".

I was shocked how well that elk absorbed the hits. My very first shot was mortal but once you know you hit you keep shooting until they are down, is my ethics. If I thought I'd missed I would have stopped there.

The 7mm was a gift so I chose to get it shoot 500+, without alot of $$. I did accomplish that and put Kenton turrets on it. I also have my tried and true elk rifle I have used for many years. It is just a plain jane rem 338 mag shooting 250 grain bullets. It is my goto gun when I hunt in more in the trees. I have a chart on it and have to take caps of an change it but can if I have to, also 500-600 yards is my max. Those 1000 yard gun are impressive to say the least.

Latest posts

Back