Do we have a hunting topic?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Beautiful photo! Maybe incorporate it into a landscape wine label?

Wow. Congratulations!! Bet that was an expensive tag? Are you a resident?

Ranch herd and no tag required.

Hunt included 3 day stay at the ranch cabin with a great cook too. Probably not any more expensive than a 7 day vacation with 180 lbs of boned out, packaged and frozen buffalo included!!

It was a long drive, 1350 each way, but worth the experience. Not quite like an old time buff hunt but not that far off it either.;)

I just finished hunting for my Case XX pocket knife! Bagged that sucker! I have been carrying this bone-handled thing for 25 years. The bone is worn smooth. It was wily - it hid under the hood of my car and rode around for 60 miles a day for 3 days. But I was determined and I stealthily tracked it down by stumbling across it when I checked my oil. So happy!

We've also been trapping house cats. Neighbor 2 doors down has collected 25 feral felines by feeding strays. We've been trapping them in Have-A-Hearts so the Humane Society could spay and neuter them under a grant program and then release them back into the wild. Now, you might say, feral house cats, what is so exciting about trapping those? In that case, I'll know you have never trapped one! They don't just sit there afterward.

I'll soon turn my trusty live trap against the raccoons, since one just casually walked up the steps to my back porch the other night and came about 2 feet from me until I finally convinced it to go on. That's too close and too friendly for a critter that could carry rabies and is prone to biting on a quick swing in mood. A ride is in their future.

Now, people might say, why don't you shoot the coons and the groundhogs, too, for that matter? Well, I found that if you shoot one, you'll never be able to walk out your door with a gun again before they all scatter. Trapping is more efficient.

I would have to agree with mike. I'd run them with dogs and tree them ;).

jswordy: feral felines are NOT house cats

And thank God. I'd never want a cat in my house again. That comes after experience times 2. We fix them, pet them, feed them, hope they kill the mice outdoors and leave them be.

And thank God. I'd never want a cat in my house again. That comes after experience times 2. We fix them, pet them, feed them, hope they kill the mice outdoors and leave them be.

I could not be less of a fan of cats. They stink, do there business in a box getting all of that all over their paws, then jump all over the kitchen counters. They are also too stupid to be trained and can easily be replace with a good mousetrap.

Disgusting creatures with no discernible qualities at all!!!!

9k=

Last edited:
Don't sugar coat it, John. We're all friends here. You can tell us how you really feel. :)

Well, I don't want to go as far as John did, but we've had one pee down the furnace vents. That was nice when it came time to turn it on, and they are hard to clean completely. Also had one pee in my old car I have spent a lot of money fixing up, and the same cat peed on the seat of my restored tractor - the same seat I sent all the way to Colorado to get recovered.

NEVER AGAIN! Feed them, fix them, pet them -- all outside!

Well Jim, think that one would be one my Grandfather would of taken care of. Know how to keep a cat from doing all those things?? Cut off his tail. Right behind the ears. Arne.

Just got back from a 2 1/2 day pheasant hunt in North Dakota. 3 of us ended up with 21 roosters. Not bad considering the weather. Warmest temperature was 10 or 15 degrees on Friday afternoon. When we left on Monday morning it was -23. 15-25 mph winds the entire time. I consider the birds we bagged to be luckier than the ones that got away. My crock pot sounds better than a ND winter.

I wanted to swing in to see greginnd's 4 elements winery but his web site says opening 2015. I'll stop next year for sure.

Last edited:
Nice one. I still haven't filled my archery tag. If I don't get one this year I'll break an 8 year streak of being successful with my bow

Ptarmigan, grouse taste like Ptarmigan. yummy! Nice looking Springer BTW.

Speaking of hunting I have been hunting for my Bottle of Chateau de Rothchild 1937 for months, anyone seen it?

Nice one. I still haven't filled my archery tag. If I don't get one this year I'll break an 8 year streak of being successful with my bow

That's a very good streak, in my opinion and experience, for bowhunting. Are you just not seeing them or are you having trouble getting out this season?

Latest posts

Back