Do we have a hunting topic?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calvin

Reaction score
Went grouse hunting for the first time today. Lots of leaves and many lucky birds. But 1 met its match. Hunter went bird crazy for 3 straight hours. Hopefully I wore him out enough so he doesn't drive momma cookoo any more.
ImageUploadedByWine Making1411525438.124332.jpg

That sounds delicious. I will try that. Normally I will crock pot them in some cream soup and eat it over noodles or rice.

No but I'm going again today. If I have any success I can take some pics for you.

My favorite hunting is for grouse. They win most times. No need for stealth or technique, just bust through the thickest, nastiest brush and while you are picking a thorn out of your cheek and your gun is between your knees, one will fly out from under your feet and scare the crap out of you!!!

Fun tiimes.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1411601147.485040.jpg
Peel back skin. No knife necessary

ImageUploadedByWine Making1411601197.079791.jpg

Fillet

ImageUploadedByWine Making1411601232.375121.jpg

Boneless skinless grouse breast

I field dress them shortly after I get one and put on ice ASAP

That's a decent amount of breast for such a small bird. What is the flavour comparable to? I've been begging my brother-in-law to take me bird hunting to get my 'feet wet' :)

Believe it or not it is a lot like chicken. More so than pheasant if you ask me. No real gamey taste

Interesting. I'll have to have a look here at home and see what's about.

There are a few different kinds of grouse in Minnesota. These are ruffed grouse. They have the whitest meat and are the best table fare. We also have sharp tail grouse and spruce grouse. Sharp tail taste ok at best and have very dark meat. I have never taken a spruce grouse but have heard they are almost inedible. Good luck. Hope you get out and try it

Calvin...

You sure know how to make a fellow envious!

That last picture of yours....

Hunting Dog (Just about the best looking dog ever) - check
Pickup Truck, - check
shot gun - check
Game meat after a day of hunting - check

luckiest guy in the world - check

johnT.

Calvin...

You sure know how to make a fellow envious!

That last picture of yours....

Hunting Dog (Just about the best looking dog ever) - check
Pickup Truck, - check
shot gun - check
Game meat after a day of hunting - check

luckiest guy in the world - check

johnT.

Wow. Thanks John! Sometimes I forget how lucky I am. I do have it really good. Maybe too good. The best part is I did all that hunting while at work. I own a construction company. We are re roofing a bunch of cabins in the north woods. All I have to do is make sure the crew has everything they need to get the job done and I can go chase birds the rest of the day.

My poor dog had so many burrs in his ears I had to take the clippers to him after we got home. He looks really funny now

Last edited:
Try this:

Put 1 wing under each foot....grab one leg with each hand........pull.....you will get a cleaned/skinned/breast with the wings attached. Done a lot of them this way. Very fast and easy, works real good of ruffles.

That's the way I do them as well, zimmer. Easy and efficient.

No grouse today but some unexpecting geese flew overhead while I was trudging through the woodsImageUploadedByWine Making1412030494.818957.jpg

Just got back from a bucket list hunt. About 100 animals, free range, on a large NE sand hills ranch. Shiloh Sharps 45-90 rifle, 90 grains of black powder and a 520 grain lead bullet. One shot at roughly 110 yds through the heart/lungs and he was down and dead in less than 20 seconds.

He's in the feezer, first dinner tonight and some nice Syrah from last year!!!!:gn

buf2_zpsb9b2b0c4.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. Congratulations!! Bet that was an expensive tag? Are you a resident?

Just got back from a bucket list hunt. About 100 animals, free range, on a large NE sand hills ranch. Shiloh Sharps 45-90 rifle, 90 grains of black powder and a 520 grain lead bullet. One shot at roughly 110 yds through the heart/lungs and he was down and dead in less than 20 seconds.

He's in the feezer, first dinner tonight and some nice Syrah from last year!!!!:gn

buf2_zpsb9b2b0c4.jpg

That's awesome!

Never hunted big game just deer and turkey. Got a fair size doe about two weeks ago with my crossbow hunting on PA property that my brothers jointly own.

Would love to take an animal like you did using bow, side lock muzzle loader or hand gun.

WOW that is awesome! I shot a 3 year old bull a few years back, man it was good eating hope yours is the same. Elk hunting now but have only seen cows.

Latest posts

Back