Do I need to degas a lot before barrel aging?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rshosted

Reaction score
I just got a 5 gal barrel and have 'moderately' degassed my newest batch. i was wondering if I need to really degass (as normal) if it is going to be in a barrel (probably for four weeks since the barrel is so new).

Anyone thoughts on this subject?

I would say, yes, if the wine is finshed and ready to age, then degass. Failure to properly degass can keep the wine from clearing. You might risk popping the bung or cork, if used to seal the barrel.

My thoughts, and this is only my thought is that you probably should degass the wine well. I say this as from what I have read about the barrels that a 5 gallon barrel is going to have a considerable wood to wine ratio meaning it will oak the wine quickly and you won't have the luxury of leaving the wine to age in the barrel. From all research I have seen the minimum sized barrel to use for aging is a 30 gallon.

Remember, this is only my opinion as I have different views on certain items from the norm so I do not want to influence anyone from trying something or not trying something from my opinions. I hope it works well for you and if it does, by all means let me know so I can try. I would love to try barrel aging but I am not going to buy a 30 gallon barrel and make a 30 gallon batch to fill it.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back