DJ Bungs?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TStarr

Reaction score
Hi again - could some of please take the time to let me know what sort of bungs are used on your 1 gall demijohns (please don't tell me u all use 5 gall or bigger carboys!!)

- cork is probably seen as a little 'old' and short lived, harder to sterilise
- red rubber bungs, very reusable, but carry a bit of a taste and smell to them (but probably most popular)
- white rubber, similar to red, but stronger smell
- silicone - reusable, not taste, but quite an odour

I recently switched to silicone ones, but the smell is getting worrying as to whether it will transfer into the wine. How do you all get round these problems?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
As far as I know we all use #6 or # 6.5 gum stoppers. I have never had one transfer any taste into the wine myself. They do have a smell to themselves though.

To my knowledge, any bungs sold at wine supply stores are food grade, and as long as there is no direct contact to the wine being stored, there will not be a problem.. Again, this is to the best of my knowledge..

I personally use the 'white' bungs and after a year and a half of wine making I have had zero problems..

White rubber stopper for the 1 gallon jugs. I've never had a problem with odor or taste.

#6 white bungs from your favourite LHBS. In BC Canada we got some apple cider gallon jugs that had a wider mouth. They took a #8.

Steve

I use the plastic screw caps ( with hole for airlock) for all my gal or 1/2 gal jugs, although I'm now wondering if they seal well enough for long term ageing - does anyone else use these?

Dugger I have tried these and I don't think they seal good enough for anything unless it is really fermenting. Just my opinion but I don't like them for storage of any length..

I use the plastic screw caps ( with hole for airlock) for all my gal or 1/2 gal jugs, although I'm now wondering if they seal well enough for long term ageing - does anyone else use these?
Dugger I used to use a couple of these but had trouble with them cracking (after what I felt was light usage), so switched to bungs.

Steve

Brian/cpfan - thanks - guess I'll be getting some #6 bungs!

Apologies - I referred to the new Silicone bungs as Latex, by misatke - do you have Silicone ones over in the States?

Latest posts

Back