Disaster struck, I'm crestfallen.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbear

Junior
Reaction score
After waiting patiently for 5 months I decided Saturday morning was the time bottle my first batch of apple/cranberry wine. I wash the bottles, soak the corks, carefully sanitize and lay everything out when it happened. Raising the carboy to a higher level for better siphoning it slipped out of my hands and broke on the floor.

Not only did I loose my work and have a huge mess to clean up but I lost my favorite carboy. It was a light blue, embossed 5-gallon carboy from the 1940's.
I'm very discouraged right now.

Very sad to read this. Not only for the loss of the wine, or the mess to clean up but to lose something that may have meant alot to you.

This is why you need a vacuum pump. No need to move a carboy anywhere! You cn rack up hill and never have to lift a full carboy ever again or worry about getting all sliced up from the carboy cutting you. Not to mention you can degas and filter your wine also with it! Sorry for your loss!

Our Flags are definitely flying for you. Sorry for your loss.

ani-us-flag-half-staff-waving-01.gif

We need someone to make a flag with wine glasses on it flying 1/2 staff like that and waving so we can put it in our smiley area permanently!

I'm sooooooooo sorry to hear of your accident. I have only glass carboys and I'm constantly thinking of what could happen with one false move. Again, sorry. :ts :ts :ts

This is why you need a vacuum pump. No need to move a carboy anywhere! You cn rack up hill and never have to lift a full carboy ever again or worry about getting all sliced up from the carboy cutting you. Not to mention you can degas and filter your wine also with it! Sorry for your loss!

Yep. Plus save your back.

That would be my nighmare as well. My wife tried to get me to buy the plastic carboys from our local brew shop but I prefer the glass also. Sorry that happened to you.

A moment of silence for your loss... :(

That has always been my biggest fear everytime I moved a carboy. Even though I bought steel handles for my carboys and always have a large sheet of plywood on the concrete floor, the thought has always been in the back of my mind. I bought a pump from Wade which will forever remove my fears.

I dropped a 6 gfallon carboy with Mead in it this weekend, but caught it. now I have one sore back. Sorry for your loss

Hurting our backs really sucks from accidents (and then there is Wade with a constant bad back) but eventually they'll heal. We have even heard of people severing veins in their legs and arms from breaking carboys. Sure we could take safety precautions and wear boots and chaps along with cavalier gloves that go up to our elbows, but I don't think anyone would ever do that. I also keep handles on all of my carboys that make it really handy when handling wet glass during washing. The biggest safety item has already been mentioned several times and thats the vacuum pumps.

Believe me when I say we are not pushing these so Wade can make a few pennies but we are pushing them for your safety and convenience. Enough of us have tested and proved the results they produce.

I will lift a glass (or 2) in your carboys honor !

So can you supply a link to these pumps? I could not locate them on Wades store site.

Oh man, you just confirmed my worst fear everytime I lift my carboy to rack. I'm sorry to hear about the incident and if I could I'd be there to help clean up but I'm half a country away.

If I can make a positive from this you just convinced me to look into a vacuum pump as wade mentions.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Our sympithies are with you in this difficult time, look to the future and all the great wine you will make.

Latest posts

Back