Eclipse Barbossa Valley Shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I moved the Shiraz from second fermentation to the clearing stage and added the oak. I tasted the Shiraz for the first time. It's extremely dry! I measured it at 0.992. I never see anyone talk about it getting that low. That's okay right? I've got to say, I love this AIO pump!

You can't seem to post videos here, so here is link: https://youtu.be/8Ms1paM3w9U

I also moved the Dry Creek Chardonnay from primary fermentation to secondary. It looks like orange juice in this video (and following pic) It doesn't actually look at orange in real life. Not far from it, but hah.

https://youtu.be/Gk-MfysmsyA

Finally, here are them both ready to go back into the closet.

-LCqxT7-n9-jZzaJyVr1B4PN4cM7Yf-Q3AhpUMfYBf4YwbigXyXrzQMzqq8ZFgGDBaKKeH7Ei_AeQJk5hAtaovK8WvDCKp39VYhbPaGQdNyFWe42xt7FtmGPoSjyIoLj1TCUcbd__P1hFicdWQOtyUtCiH_la52YoORemi0DvKDgRp271__BUug35nu_U0QSA_i9Q0A6Ad1LnaFlV-48-M9uGcGfiigab8HxZyUrja5bRv7dr-7AMFf2smktdojJhHhhwIezupD811NlU0HQ642PrK6yUhl0mJokKVe0SISZHcZSZ1nfsKhrBh5146Cborfct24ZayAgH4qVffXeGny1hH1dFeWEj-2TdvQKCIa9HbXJRMOnjTuJ4VOjiUglsFGeXEWP_nL97LS88MB83V4chXBcCJjhOOVZKhz9Cm1EyqqepQfDHfSNQv_R40VrD1PybIiobBrzDwEvrIJFJB8H2Rq3yHAlvRp1Ytur83x6hsv3ZSdwz12D3K0B-aQD0UddV5VwBy7N70IUxz-vDdFjbtVkxbhczHmJ3IVasWinqwr-QrePYO5AZyTqiEC0cbmb=w1306-h979-no

I believe I'm going to start that DangerDave's Dragon's Blood tomorrow. I picked up everything I needed for it today.

Sorry to go back to something so much earlier in the thread but I just saw what you were saying about the price of the fermenter. You actually got a good deal. I've been shopping online looking to buy 2 or 3. Best price I've found on a 7.9 gal with lid is around $22 plus $11 or so shipping. You can buy 5 gal food safe buckets with lids for around $6-8 at Lowes but the 7.9 gal ones are a lot more expensive.

Sorry to go back to something so much earlier in the thread but I just saw what you were saying about the price of the fermenter. You actually got a good deal. I've been shopping online looking to buy 2 or 3. Best price I've found on a 7.9 gal with lid is around $22 plus $11 or so shipping. You can buy 5 gal food safe buckets with lids for around $6-8 at Lowes but the 7.9 gal ones are a lot more expensive.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A84BHAE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

By the time you ad the lid, you're still over $20, but you're getting a 10 gallon fermenter instead of 8. Free shipping if you have Prime.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, my wine kit said when I add the clearing agents and stuff to add the oak cubes for eight days. I read something that the cubes will sink to the bottom. Well, it's been eleven days and the cubes still haven't sunk.

I haven't decided how long I'm going to let the wine sit in the clearing stage before I rack it and remove the cubes, I was just wondering if there was a reason the cubes haven't sunk if they were supposed to. Does this mean the cubes still have flavor to give?

That's typical for me. Some will fall, some won't. I don't know if it can be correlated to them still having flavor/tannins to give up. More will fall as time goes on.

It may be the density of the wood, slowing the saturation process. This can also be affected by barometric pressure. No worries with it's position in the liquid, it's still "doin' it's thang" whether up top or down low. :db

Latest posts

Back