Digital Hydrometer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MManx

Junior
Reaction score
I just ran across a very inexpensive digital hydrometer for marine aquarists that looks pretty slick. You just stick it in and it reads. It also give temperature and salinity.Would this devicework with wine ordoes anyone make onespecifically for wine? Edited by: MManx

Depends on the range of the SG it can test...can you post a link to this?

NO!!!! This is actually a conductivity meter. Pure water is a poor conductor of electricity, to the tune of 17 million ohms per centimeter. Add dissolved solids and the conductivity goes up (resistance goes down). This unit is calibrated for the mix of ions that exist in seawater, which bears no relation to must or wine.

Each ion, when dissolved in water to a given concentration results in a different conductivity. Chloride (Cl-) has a large effect, sulfate (SO4--) a lesser effect. Sugar and alcohol have almost no effect on conductivity.

This is a great tool for salt water aquariums, because the salt components are established and known. All they have done is take a known solution of salts and apply a curve to the concentration as it applied to the change in the resistance to the flow of electricity. Then they printed a scale that corresponded to the SG of that solution.

Because the effect of alcohol and sugar on conductivity is so small, it would be impossible to recalibrate a conductivity meter for our use. The conductivity of the water used to dilute a kit would have more effect than the sugar or alcohol. Conductivity of tap water in the US varies from <20 to >1000. It's just a matter of where you get your water from. High or low is neither good or bad.

PeterZ, I'm sure glad you are with this forum, you have taught me so much and some that I still don't understand.
smiley9.gif
It's nice to have a very knowledgeable person in these technical fields. Thanks!
smiley1.gif
Edited by: jsmahoney

PeterZ--thanks for the insight and detail. I had a suspicion that there was some fortuitous relationship between salinity and gravity specific to a well defined and fairly consistant solution that made SG inferable. I found a few electronic SG meters in mysearch but they were far from inexpensive.

I've been looking for a digital hydrometer for almost a year now. There are a few lab versions and some fancy wine testers but they have all been $1500+. I've email and called plenty of national and international places and a few in China have been interested in making me one.... if I'll buy the other 999,999 too.

I don't really need one Coaster but iffen it will help you out podner I'll take one too
smiley4.gif

Back