Different type of wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arnold

Junior
Reaction score
I have a question about teaberry wine? Just how many quarts of teaberrys do I need for 5 or 6 gals. of wine? Can I use candied teaberrys along with real teaberrys for flavor? I'm from Northeast PA. so I'm not sure if anyone else thats not from this area even knows what teaberrys are.

I have a question about teaberry wine? Just how many quarts of teaberrys do I need for 5 or 6 gals. of wine? Can I use candied teaberrys along with real teaberrys for flavor? I'm from Northeast PA. so I'm not sure if anyone else thats not from this area even knows what teaberrys are.

I am from NW PA and have only heard of Teaberry Gum. Is this like a wintergreen tasting berry?

Is this something that the general rule of thumb of 6 to 7 lbs per gallon can come into play? I am not familiar with this berry and I would think that if it is strong then you will want to cut that number back some and if it is weak then add to it.

You will want no less then 10 lbs per gallon when using tea berry. Also make sure to have about 20% more saved for a f-pack.

In order to get the most of the flavor from the berry pick a slow yeast, I also keep mine at 69°.

I only make it in 1 gallon batches do to having a hard time finding that much fruit.

teaberry-01.jpg

Good luck
TJ

Welcome Arnold. Glad to see ANOTHER PAer here.

I would be interested in the recipe tjbryner.

Basically one of JK's recipes that I have changed alittle

9-10 lbs ripe teaberries
2.5 lbs granulated sugar
5.5 pts water
3/4 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pkg wine yeast

Put half the water on to boil and stir in sugar until dissolved. Meanwhile, wash berries and cull out any that are not ripe ones.
Put berries in nylon straining bag and tie closed. Place in primary and mash berries. Pour sugar-water over berries and add remaining water.

Cover with cloth and set aside until cooled to room temperature.
Stir in acid blend, yeast nutrient and crushed Campden.

Recover and wait 12 hours.

Stir in pectic enzyme, recover and set aside another 12 hours.

Add activated yeast and recover primary.

Stir twice daily until fermentation dies down (SG around 1.000).

Remove straining bag, squeeze to extract maximum juice, and discard pulp and fit airlock.

Allow to settle 2-3 days and rack into secondary and fit airlock.

Rack, top up and refit airlock after 60 days and again when wine clears.

Set wine in cool, dark place for 4 months, checking airlock periodically. Stabilize, sweeten to taste (if desired) and set aside for 14 days. Rack into bottles, age 9-12 months and enjoy.

I used 5 gallon bucket full of fresh berries last time and it turned out great. As far as canned go????? never tried canned fruit to make wine. If I was making it using canned(guess here) I would user 1 to 1. 1 quart berries to 1 quart of water. After it is finished you can do an F-Pac if it needs more flavor

9-10 lbs ripe teaberries
2.5 lbs granulated sugar
5.5 pts water
3/4 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pkg wine yeast

Put half the water on to boil and stir in sugar until dissolved. Meanwhile, wash berries and cull out any that are not ripe ones.
Put berries in nylon straining bag and tie closed. Place in primary and mash berries. Pour sugar-water over berries and add remaining water.

Remove straining bag, squeeze to extract maximum juice, and discard pulp and fit airlock.

Set wine in cool, dark place for 4 months, checking airlock periodically. Stabilize, sweeten to taste (if desired) and set aside for 14 days. Rack into bottles, age 9-12 months and enjoy.

Thanks I will have to try this one come summer..

thanks

I have 5 quarts now and guess I'll have to wait till the snow clears to get more berries.I've weighed the teaberries by the quart, one quart = one pound. I'll weight or try a smaller batch. Thanks

9-10 lbs ripe teaberries
2.5 lbs granulated sugar
5.5 pts water
3/4 tsp acid blend
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 pkg wine yeast

I found that you don't get near the juice from tea berries as you would from another fruit of the same size, That's why I use so much fruit.

That and the ones that drink my wine tell me if it's Tea Berry wine they want a Tea Berry taste. Not a hint of it.

Some of the wines I make for them I could all most call it liquid berry wine, It's so fruity.

Latest posts

Back