Different types of wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy @Billdean , yup an interesting chart. Unfortunately totally skipped rhurbarb or a smooth tannin apple which I like more than a dry harsh tannin red grape. …… There is a lot of world out there to explore, and then there is another dimension on top of what we like, ,,,, how much age is the wine we just judged showing

It is a handy poster but I agree, drink a variety, follow your taste buds. Yes, some fun and delicious effort is involved.

I make country wine and I find I like many vegetable wines bone dry, fruit wines are variable sweetness levels (depending on the fruit), and flower wines are a mix.

Interesting, would think it's good for a general guide. Admitting that my palate is not refined but sometimes I find as much difference in different wines of the same type as in some different varietals.
An argument is often made that terroir (where and in what conditions something is grown) has a massive effect on the taste of the final wine.

A chart like this can never be definitive, but it could still be useful:
* Find wines similar to those you already like. I like Syrah, so maybe I should try a Malbec
* Learn about whole groups of wines that you have never tried. There are many wines in the Herbal Dry Red category that I have never tried. Maybe I should try them out!

Of course if you included fruit wines, the chart would be much, much larger!

Interesting, would think it's good for a general guide. Admitting that my palate is not refined but sometimes I find as much difference in different wines of the same type as in some different varietals.
Your experience is normal -- there are soooo many potential differences between batches, including terroir (as @RevA mentioned), local weather, fertilization, rain just before harvest, yeast strain, fermentation temperature, cold soaking, oak / barrel aging, etc.

A chart like this can never be definitive, but it could still be useful:
* Find wines similar to those you already like. I like Syrah, so maybe I should try a Malbec
* Learn about whole groups of wines that you have never tried. There are many wines in the Herbal Dry Red category that I have never tried. Maybe I should try them out!

Of course if you included fruit wines, the chart would be much, much larger!
Good points, so I'll step back a bit on my previous comment regarding the usefulness of the chart.

It's amazing how many types of grapes there are within a single category, e.g., Vinifera reds. I purchased the Costco Advent Wine Calendar last November, and encountered wines I'd not heard of before, from central, eastern, and southern Europe. Anything that helps educate us on new grapes is good.

Latest posts

Back