WineXpert Did I wait to long?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhawk

Reaction score
I am doing a WE Riesling. So far I havetransferred from the primary to the carboy. That was on Feb 5th and I have not stabilized it or topped of the carboy or degassed it. I have been putting in a new kitchen and dining room and completely forgot about the Riesling. Is it all aloss?? Or should I stabilized, top off and degas and continue.

You are fine seeing as how the gas is protecting it from oxidizing. At the point you are at it is fine do be patient. The only time that it is really detrimental to follow instructions is racking from primary to carboy to get rid of all that head space. At this point you will add k-meta and sorbate, stir really well, degas, add fining agent if you wish and wait it out.

Many of us spend a month or more leaving a white, especially chardonnay, on the lees, stirring a couple of times a week, to improve mouthfeel. It gives the wine a buttery feel. Search for a thread on "buttery chard." You actually probably improved the wine by ignoring it for 6 weeks.

Thanks guys I actually have 3 6 galloncarboys going of reisling for the weddingat the end of May. These are going to be gifts to be handed out. I am glad that all is not lost. THis weekend I will stabilize and degass.

hay jhawk haven't talk to you in a while good to see you on line,reisling, semi/dry or sweet?like the semi/dry myself

I am a fan of the semi/dry myself but for the wedding I am gonig to back sweeten a tad. Haven't decided to either use cane sugar or grape concetrate like Welch's Niagra. Anybody have any suggestions? With what they have had sucess with in the pass. By the way the Blackberry was awesome. Edited by: jhawk

use cane sugar as beet sugar can leave a diffterent taste behind,this is my preference and most winemakers for that reason,was that the isabella blackberry you were referring to,you lady liked the pino grigio,i know,good luck talk to you soon ///jp

Latest posts

Back