Mosti Mondiale Did I Ruin My Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenore

Reaction score
I am making a MM White Zin Kit and I made the mistake of adding the bottle of wine conditioner during the first rack from bucket to carboy. Have I made a huge mistake or will the conditioner just ferment itself off? Right now it is happily bubbling away in the carboy. Looks ok. I have a bottle of wine conditioner that I bought from George. I could just add some of that at degassing stage like I should have. Let me know what you think...Edited by: Lenore

Why do you even need this for this kit??????? It has a finishing bag
9F-Pack) to sweeten back. Your wine will be fine, what you have just
done is a good experiment to see how hard it is to try to stop a
fermentation in process.You have also upped the alc probably a tiny bit
depending on the size of that bottle you used. Why do you want to put
the conditioner in there? You are also voiding the warranty.

Edited by: wade

This kit does not come with an F-Pack. That is what WE kits came with. This one came with a bottle of wine conditioner instead. I was surprised to see the lack of an F-Pack for a white zin and am assuming that in order to make it taste like white zin I will have to add Something to it... I can't see that I would void the warranty using the supplies provided with the kit itself.Edited by: Lenore

If it is still fermenting away I would not fret too much about it. It is not the worst mistake in the world to make. Actually somewhere we have a thread where we have owned up to some pretty horrendous errors.

I once used a three gallon kit in a 6 gallon batch, then tried to rectify the mistake by using a LOT of sugar. The results were almost drinkable and Carlo Rossi would have been proud of me
smiley11.gif

If you have a wine thief, once it has pretty much finished fermenting, draw some of the must and check the SG. If it is getting on for .990-.994 then it is fermenting dry and you should have no worries. (you might have to do this more than once until the SG stabilizes.

Keep us posted

This definately falls under stupid mistakes. You would think after all of the kits I have made that I would know by know that things like that are added when you stir. The instructions said "your wine may have come with oak or conditioner...then proceeded to tell to add oak for secondary and said see below for instructions on conditioner." That last part is what I overlooked. Oh well,

It seems to be just fine, fermenting away. Has anyone made this kit? How do you rectify the lack of F-Pack on this wine? I am having a hard time seeing how this will taste like White Zin if you don't add anything to it.

I guess I will find out when I taste it. But any thought in the meantime?

Im very sorry Lenore, I have never seen a kit come with a bottle of
conditioner andtake what I said back about asking you why you would put
that in there and about voiding the warranty.
smiley9.gif

Edited by: wade

Just let it go. It will have a higher alcohol content and if you need some wine conditioner to sweeten it at the end, just let me know.

I am assuming this is a Mosti kit. If so, the instructions are a little different and need some improvement.

Thanks George. I have a bottle I bought from you a while back but have never needed to use. We will see what it tastes like. I will keep you posted. Have you made this MM White Zin kit yet? How does it fair without an addition of an F-Pack? It's absence has thrown me...

Cindyjo,

You have two choices - you can add a white wine conditioner, or just add sugar. You already have the conditioner's flavor in the wine, all that is missing (assuming it ferments to dry) is the sweetness. You could even add Splenda for a sugar free sweet wine. Hmmm... might have to try something like that for SWMBO.

I do many kits the only thing I have added is sugar to get alittle more alc and yeast nutient and ghost x for a strong ferment.
I have added added camdon tablet at bottling time I do keep my wine for more than a year IT gets better as it sits in a bottle You will see. And the white zin i make i have never added any sweetner at bottling and the ppl i give it to just want more but I wont give them any that has not aged at lease 6 mo's so get a wine rack and load those closets up with your filled bottles

Back