Did I ruin my wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will

Junior
Reaction score
I started my first wine kit last night. I was close to the end of step 1 where I was supposed to add the yeast. The water temperature was not as warm as it needed to be. So I removed some of the juice/water mixture from my bucket and put it in a pot on the stove (about 1.5 gallons). I warmed it until it almost boiled and put it back in the bucket. Then I added my yeast.

Well, it turns out my thermometer wasn't working so it was probably warm enough from the beginning, but you can't undo what's been done. Anyway, my real question is, did I ruin my wine by boiling it? I don't really care if I did, I don't mind getting another kit and starting over. I just don't want to waste my time on this batch if I've compromised the quality of it. Thanks in advance.

I'm not an expert, but I don't think you ruined the wine, but you may have killed the yeast if the water was too hot. If it doesn't start to ferment by tonight, then I would add another pack of yeast if you have it on hand.

Chances are that after adding that much must back to the kit, the temperatures were probably too high for the yeasts. See if you can get another package of the same kind and brand as you used in the kit. Of course if you can't get one soon, let the kit go and see if fermentation will start. If it does you will be OK as is. If not, try to get some within 48 hours or the kit may go bad soon after that. Good luck and Welcome to the forum.
smiley32.gif

I didn't add the yeast until after I added the heated must back. That was last night, and the yeast does appear to be working this morning. I'm not sure, I've never seen yeast in action, but there is a strong bread-like smell when I opened the lid to check it. I'm mainly concerned that boiling the must might end up weakening the taste or quality of the wine. Thanks for the replies by the way.

Edited by: Will

Welcome Will...hope you find your answers here.

I make only fruit wines....I steam extract my juice from the fruits...so the temperature of my juices get pretty high...I heat the juices up and then pour into sterilized mason jars and seal...so my juices have been pasturized.....Know this isn't like your wine kit... almost sure it will work out for you.

Sounds like your yeast was working already...just the way you described the smell...
smiley1.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

If the yeast is working youll see a slight foam or hear a sizzling
light a soda would sound if you put your ear to it. Some times it can
take 3 days to start but usually a kit starts after a day.

Edited by: wade

I emailed Winexpert and here is the response I got:

"The wine should turn out
fine - it is brought to a high temperature when we pasteurize it here at the
plant. Next time if you findit is too cold you can use the bag the
winecomes in and add hot water to the bag put the lid on it
andsubmerse it in the batch and it will heat itup - kind of like a
hot water bottle. "

</span></font>

DOH! we have had the bucket sitting in a sink of hot on one and cold on the other. One was just right on temp.

Water bottle. so simple and it would have worked either way.

Thanks for sharing Will.

Latest posts

Back