Other Diamanti milk chocolate strawberry port style

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most of the manufacturers have some kind of chocolate port in their catalogue. These kits seem quite popular and some folks (Wade? perhaps) have made their own non-kit versions. Searching choc(olate) port should get you numerous hits.

I believe that this is the first milk choc port, If I could get one, I might even try one, as it sounds neat.

Steve

I'm doing a dark chocolate orange from the same kit Diamanti. The store that carried it let me try all of the varieties including the one you're making, they were all good but my wife (a chocoholic) liked the dark chocolate as it was how should I say more chocolaty. I liked them all so unless we screw up the kits I don't think we will be disappointed.

I didn't get this one. I was asking about it. Never seen it before. My LHBS just started carrying this brand. He said the regular port was the best one he's tried from a kit. I too prefer dark chocolate but might wait on this one for now - mostly because I've already spent so much on wine in the past 2 months.

Let us know what you think of it as you're making it.

my thoughts are if I'm going to make this type of port i would rather invests in a good liquor instead and save the investment in making a real port ,,just my thoughts,,,,

I have made both the Milk Chocolate Strawberry and Dark Chocolate Orange. Everyone loves them, but the chocoholics love the Dark Chocolate. I was hoping it would be more like the break apart chocolate oranges, but still good.

These kits are made by Advintage, and are listed at the Paklab web-site (but not the Advintage web-site). Don't know about shipping to the USA, but the Milk-Choc-Strawb is $84 with free shipping in Canada.

http://www.mywinemonvin.com/Diamanti-Pails/milk-chocolate-strawberry-porto

I'm not an Advintage/Paklab fan, but definitely thinking about this one. Thanks for the reminder.

Thanks, Steve

Last edited:
I have the dark chocolate orange aging at this point. So far so good.... I'll post back in a few more months and update the progress.

I also started a WE Chocolate Raspberry port at the same time so it will be a nice comparison of the kits.

I made the Diamanti Port, and it's bulk aging. Took a sample with us when we headed south. The sample did ont have the brandy I added, and I'm sure the batch at home will be much better, though I didn't mind the sample.

How did I not see this post, damn that Milk choc strawberry port sounds gooooooooooood! I just bookmarked this! Rob, let me know how that port compares to that OCP I gave you. Like said before I love chocolate covered orange peels and was very disappointed in the RJS port.

So far the dark chocolate port smells awesome! The Choc Rasp has more of a chemically aroma to it. I'm starting to wonder if that's the WE Kit taste that is talked about here?

Should I fortify these? The kit directions don't mention it at all but I'm thinking about it if it will make them that much better.

Wade - I will get a bottle to you when it's ready!

Alcohol Content

I checked the alcohol content before I added the flavour pack, with a vinomenter and it was 19% alcohol. I didn't think it needed any fortification. But each to their own.

I checked the alcohol content before I added the flavour pack, with a vinomenter and it was 19% alcohol. I didn't think it needed any fortification. But each to their own.
Do you have sg readings that might validate the vinometer reading? Most of us find the vinometer to be inaccurate.

Steve

Vinometer

No I didn't record my specific gravities. I just thought that as long as you check the alcohol content before any sweetener was added that the alcohol content was quite close on wine. I have been adding 3 cups extra sugar to my NM on day one and the alcohol content on the vinometer was 11%. I presumed it was correct. Will record on my next batch. Found a neat little online calculator that I downloaded for winemaking, called Fermcalc.
http://web2.airmail.net/sgross/fermcalc/fermcalc_download.html

The online version of Fermcalc shows the differences in the calculation formulae. I entered my standard sg test #s (1.092 and .992) and my temperatures (72F, and calibration 68F). It gave 13.6, 13.5, and 13.2%. The formula that I use yields 13.3%.

It will be interesting to see what sg #s you get on your next NM kit. The numbers for the last NM Sangria Zin Blush that I did are 1.054 and .994 (no sugar added) or about 8%.

Steve

I was also curious on how these ports came out. I saw them on Amazon and the CO sounded really good! I haven't added to confirm, but the last Diamanti kit I ordered shipped from Amazon with free shipping. I currently have the ice wine going now. I was hoping they'd have chocolate raspberry as they are priced lower than other kits, but the chocolate orange and chocolate strawberry both sound good!

Now that they have aged about a year:
Dark Chocolate Orange - amazing! I added about 3/4 of a bottle of brandy to it. After some small samplings that seemed to really round out the flavors. Everyone has loved it. I bought 2 more of these for a double batch. It smells awesome from day 1 to now. Nice legs, great finish, not overly chocolate or orange but you can tell they are there.

Chocolate Raspberry - Also really good but not as good as the DCO. I would make it again but I'd rather try something else. Don't take this for a negative. It's really good and well worth the kit price. It just seems to lack something that the orange one has.

I too am interested in how the milk chocolate strawberry port turned out.

I did make the Chocolate raspberry (only a couple left) and it was OK not much raspberry flavor.

The orange chocolate is still aging and so far not too bad but time will tell.

BUT I really want to know about the MC strawberry. IS it worth the money?

Actually I never got that one. Went with the raspberry and orange one. I'd like to try it though.

Back