Degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgift

Reaction score
Just went thru the stabilizing and clearing step WE Selection Brunello kit. Was surprised that the instructions say specifically to stir vigorously for only 2 mins. twice totaling 4 minutes. This seems way to little? I have been drill storing for 15 mins. in intervals letting the foam subside and am still getting more fine bubbles. Is there any rules of thumb at this step? This is my third kit and all seem to take way more than the instructions. Any test for full degassing?

Yup, I think the 4 mins. degassing time is some sort of joke. I gave up on the drill and went to vacuum degassing.

The only tests I know of for proper degassing are: taste and pfft. That is, does it taste a bit carbonated? And "pfft" is the test I referenced on another thread, where you put some wine in a closed container, shake, then open the container listening for a little puff of gas.

Also make sure your wine temperature is up around 75* F as the gas comes out much easier than at cooler temps.

The RJS kits I've done give instructions for two 5 minute stirrings. The total of 10 minutes has never been enough so I stir longer and then finish with an added two day hand pumping phase.

For that kit, I would skip the degassing, and bulk age for 9-12 months instead.

Yes - Like others I use vacuum to degas as I do a normal transfer - Be careful that you are not inducing large amounts of air into your wine with the drill method.
The instructions are guidelines - as temperature and other factors come in play as well.

Richmke,
We live in Florida, would you still recommend if bulk storage would be at 70-75 degrees?

Just went thru the stabilizing and clearing step WE Selection Brunello kit. Was surprised that the instructions say specifically to stir vigorously for only 2 mins. twice totaling 4 minutes. This seems way to little? I have been drill storing for 15 mins. in intervals letting the foam subside and am still getting more fine bubbles. Is there any rules of thumb at this step? This is my third kit and all seem to take way more than the instructions. Any test for full degassing?

I dump the stablizers, k metas & clearifyers all in and stir for a few minutes.
I then degas when racking and let father time do the rest.
I have a brunello which is covered in an old tee shirts/sweatshirt and then I put the carboy box over it.
I hide it in the corner of my basement brew room and on pull it out ever 3 months to rack.

I have also stopped degassing with a drill bit. I just let the carboy sit for longer and I vaccum rack. Getting close to bottling if there is still the "pffft", then I just vac rack between carboys a couple times during the day and that usually is enough to degass.

I agree with the above poster, I was never comfortable that drill stirring is not ADDING O2 while trying to remove gas from the solution. With beer you can oxygenate by shaking, I can not understand how vigorous stirring is not doing the same thing.

sgift said:
We live in Florida, would you still recommend if bulk storage would be at 70-75 degrees?

Those are the temps in my house during the summer.

I agree with the above poster, I was never comfortable that drill stirring is not ADDING O2 while trying to remove gas from the solution. With beer you can oxygenate by shaking, I can not understand how vigorous stirring is not doing the same thing.

When I degassed with a drill bit, I used a reversible drill. I would drill in one direction until the surface of the must started moving. Then I would reverse the drill until it started moving the other way. By minimizing disturbance of the surface, you minimize oxygenation. Most of the gas at the surface is the CO2.

FYI: By having the drill hitting the wine moving in the opposite direction, you maximize the agitation (cavitation) and thus the CO2 coming out of solution.

Last edited:
Those are the temps in my house during the summer.

When I degassed with a drill bit, I used a reversible drill. I would drill in one direction until the surface of the must started moving. Then I would reverse the drill until it started moving the other way. By minimizing disturbance of the surface, you minimize oxygenation. Most of the gas at the surface is the CO2.

FYI: By having the drill hitting the wine moving in the opposite direction, you maximize the agitation (cavitation) and thus the CO2 coming out of solution.

I have done the same process, with decent results.
However degassing with a drill there is always a potential to speed up the drill and create a vortex and thereby add o2

Latest posts

Back