degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They can/will degas on their own.......but will take time, temps have to be right as well. My last years batch never did and I had to degas manually. I know......pretty vague.....others will chime in too.....

I will say that in 3 years of making reds from fresh grapes, never once have had to....

Wine kits yes. Pretty much a given. I think the act of pressing releases the CO2 and they fall clear in just a few days pretty much.

They are cold soaked for 4-5 days to extract as much tannin and color as possible, then pressed, filtered to remove skins and seeds, then flash pasteurized just before packaging.

They can/will degas on their own.......but will take time, temps have to be right as well. My last years batch never did and I had to degas manually. I know......pretty vague.....others will chime in too.....

I agree ^ Co2 is a byproduct of alcohol, and will always will be there and it will slowly be released over time and temperature has a big part in that as well. I make most of my wines from grapes and I also press and I notice when I transfer (using the vacuum set-up) that there is alot of CO2 being removed for approx the first several rackings.
I hope this helps

Last edited:
Back