Degassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fly*guy

Reaction score
Is there a good, better and best way to degas?

should we whip the wine when we degass or just gentle stir it or somewhere in between
smiley25.gif

Degassing by hand, with a spoon is long and hard.... so most of us use a drill mounted stirrer of one type or another.
But how should it be done....
Low setting that gently stirs the wine or high setting that can be very vigorous to say the least
smiley25.gif

Do we alternate directions or go in only one way
smiley25.gif

May be some other posts about this that I did not see but I'm curious how the rest of you get the job done.

There are dozens of posts covering all ways of this. If you do a search, be sure to set the timeframe for the search to any date and you will get a lot more results. You will get more replies that way than just asking, but I'm sure you will get a few answers anyways. Personnaly I just use the aspirator when I need to.

Yep, electric aspirator here to. Before that was Mityvac Brake bleeder, and before that was drill mounted stirrer and I went gently at first to prevent a volcano and then full speed just until the wine started to turn and then nailed it in reverse repeat, repeat, repeat, etc.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm like appleman, I only use my aspirator vacuum pump. To me it seems to be the easiest and most complete way to degass.

BOB

Meaning when you run the vacuum you run it till no more co2 comes out of the wine???

I run mine until I can hold a vacuum of around 18" for 1/2 an hour, until then I can usually detect C02 in most wines.

I use an aspirator pump. Slow at first then turn it up to 20 and leave it for 1/2 hour. I attempted spoon degassing and electric stirrer and both of those failed to degass enough, even though I thought I had. The brake bleeder worked better but the best is the aspirator pump.
smiley1.gif

Ebay and the cost can range very much you just have to watch and wait for a good deal. I bought mine for $85.

Got mine from Ebay and it cost about $50 shipped if I remember correctly. Look for someone selling a bunch of them and see if they will come down on the price. A lot of them go unsold and get relisted.

Latest posts

Back