Degassing problem!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosa6329

Reaction score
So after racking my grad cru wine kit from the primary to a Carboy I had a problem degassing. There wasn't enough juice to use a whip that attaches to the drill. So what I did was tilt the Carboy while using the drill whip thinking it will work. Well what happened was that the bung that is attached to the whip was grinding on the edge of the Carboy. Realized that shredded plastic fell into my wine. So I stopped and went old school with a spoon to degas. Now let me tell you, it sucked!! I'm worried about the shredded plastic pieces in my wine. What should I do? Should I use a cheese cloth and filter it out immediately? Or wait cause I added the rest of ingredients?

Yikes!
I'd just wait a couple of weeks until it's settled, rack it, then use a filter.

Ha Ha we all have had our mishaps. Your fine to let it go for now and let the pieces settle or float.

Be careful not to whip air into the wine. Brisk back and forth to release CO2

Ha Ha we all have had our mishaps. Your fine to let it go for now and let the pieces settle or float.

Be careful not to whip air into the wine. Brisk back and forth to release CO2

I don't know if I whipped air into the wine :(

If your sulfite levels were good dont worry but if you did you might need to think about adding more sulfites as you may have let some serious amounts of S02 out of your wine in doing so. You really shouldnt degas a wine that isnt topped off.

Hi Wade,

I thought I was told to not have it topped off until after the degassing because the whipping of the wand will cause the wine to bubble and over flow onto the floor. Did I hear wrong?

If your sulfite levels were good dont worry but if you did you might need to think about adding more sulfites as you may have let some serious amounts of S02 out of your wine in doing so. You really shouldnt degas a wine that isnt topped off.

I topped off when everything was done

rosa...

what kind of drill attachment were you using? I'm surprised that it wouldn't reach into the wine.

Steve

rosa...

what kind of drill attachment were you using? I'm surprised that it wouldn't reach into the wine.

Steve

A whip. I just bought "the mix-stir" rod so this should do the trick. Should I re rack it and get the plastic shredded material out or should I wait?

Funny reading this post. Just finished degassing my first batch batch.

I was using one of the steel 'whips' with the metal ears, and I didn't have it in the drill tight enough. The darned thing fell in. I racked the wine to another clean carboy. Used the plastic spoon method to degas..

So after racking my grad cru wine kit from the primary to a Carboy I had a problem degassing. There wasn't enough juice to use a whip that attaches to the drill.
you should have had well over 5 gallons of wine in the carboy at this point before topping up. Your description comes across as Very unusual. Can you be more explicit?

you should have had well over 5 gallons of wine in the carboy at this point before topping up. Your description comes across as Very unusual. Can you be more explicit?

Well i filled up my primary bucket to the 6 gallon mark. Ive been taking samples to measure the sg level but I never poured it back in. I just dumped it out. It was ready to rack it into my carboy. The wine level was slightly below the shoulders on the glass carboy. My wine kit came with a plastic whip that you attach to a drill. There is also a bung that the whip threads through. I tried stirring with it but the wine level was low and it wasnt actually stirring it. So I tilted the carboy on edge to stir it. When I did this, it put pressure on the bung which scraped along the top of the carboy and created plastic shreds which some fell into the wine. I am not sure if I degassed it enough cause I had to use a darn spoon. So I topped it off with wine and some water cause it was so darn low. Now the wine level sits about 2 inches below the bung. Should I rerack it through a cheese cloth to get the plastic out or should I wait it out? Is it degassed enough? What do I do?

Well i filled up my primary bucket to the 6 gallon mark. Ive been taking samples to measure the sg level but I never poured it back in. I just dumped it out. It was ready to rack it into my carboy. The wine level was slightly below the shoulders on the glass carboy. My wine kit came with a plastic whip that you attach to a drill. There is also a bung that the whip threads through. I tried stirring with it but the wine level was low and it wasnt actually stirring it. So I tilted the carboy on edge to stir it. When I did this, it put pressure on the bung which scraped along the top of the carboy and created plastic shreds which some fell into the wine. I am not sure if I degassed it enough cause I had to use a darn spoon. So I topped it off with wine and some water cause it was so darn low. Now the wine level sits about 2 inches below the bung. Should I rerack it through a cheese cloth to get the plastic out or should I wait it out? Is it degassed enough? What do I do?

Is there a reason that you don't just measure the SG in the primary bucket? I'm new to this as well, so just trying to learn, but it seems like just sanitizing and floating the Hydrometer in the primary is the simplest thing to do. Wondering why you'd take wine out of the bucket to test :?

Sometimes when you have an active fermentation with a lot of bubbles or there are a lot of oak chips floating on the surface, it's difficult to get an accurate reading. Otherwise, it's fine.

Is there a reason that you don't just measure the SG in the primary bucket? I'm new to this as well, so just trying to learn, but it seems like just sanitizing and floating the Hydrometer in the primary is the simplest thing to do. Wondering why you'd take wine out of the bucket to test :?
KenS

Have you tried that in a carboy yet?

Why would you do it in a primary? How precise a reading do you want? Depending on the primary and the wine, it may be difficult to get a good reading from a hydrometer floating in the primary. Are there oak chips or raisins or elderberries or grape skins floating on the surface? They may interfere with a good reading. If you are using a large primary, then you may be trying to read the hydrometer at a steep angle. (BTW, I use and recommend a large primary.) Heck, getting a good reading (is it 1.080 or 1.082?) is hard enough in a hydrometer tube or Thief.

If you just want to know that it's in the ballpark, then sure float the hydrometer in the primary.
Steve

Well i filled up my primary bucket to the 6 gallon mark. Ive been taking samples to measure the sg level but I never poured it back in. I just dumped it out.

I sanitize a wine thief and my hydrometer test jar and my hydrometer, take a reading, then dump the wine back into my fermenter. If you sanitize everything , there's no reason to dump it out.

Should I rerack it through a cheese cloth to get the plastic out or should I wait it out? Is it degassed enough? What do I do?

The plastic isn't going to hurt anything. I would just leave it be.

You really shouldnt degas a wine that isnt topped off.

Wade, can you explain that? Mosti and WE kits both say otherwise. The Mosti instructions never mention topping up until after fining, stabilizing, and degassing. The WE kits specifically say not to top up on first racking, then they say, same as Mosti kits, to fine, stabilize, and degas before topping up.

KenS

Have you tried that in a carboy yet?

Why would you do it in a primary? How precise a reading do you want? Depending on the primary and the wine, it may be difficult to get a good reading from a hydrometer floating in the primary. Are there oak chips or raisins or elderberries or grape skins floating on the surface? They may interfere with a good reading. If you are using a large primary, then you may be trying to read the hydrometer at a steep angle. (BTW, I use and recommend a large primary.) Heck, getting a good reading (is it 1.080 or 1.082?) is hard enough in a hydrometer tube or Thief.

If you just want to know that it's in the ballpark, then sure float the hydrometer in the primary.
Steve

Clearly lots to learn yet :)

Talking about primary fermentation, I wasn't thinking of measuring SG in a carboy, but your point is well taken. There are clearly situations I haven't met yet. Guess I better get a wine thief :)

I use a turkey baster to draw out the wine into a the plastic cylindrical container that they hydrometer comes in. Much easier to clean the baster than a large wine thief.

Latest posts

Back