Degassing before bottling?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonnieLynn

Reaction score
Just wondering. I'm not sure if I degassed enough (wine kit). I think I over read on this topic and now I'm paranoid :slp My carboy is sitting in its final stage before bottling now, waiting to clear. If it appears clear but has a slight fizzy taste to it, can I degass before bottling using a wine bottle pump for instance? Or would that mean it's all too late! This is my first wine kit (4 week) ever.

You should degass now, it helps with clearing.

Don't bother with the tiny wine pump thing, you'll end up getting bored with it and not really finish like you should. Stir or get a vacuum pump.

P.S. 4-week kit only means that the fermentation is over in 4 weeks. I suggest 90 or 180 days in the carboy before bottling. Your taste buds will thank you!

Thanks so much! I thought stirring it up would get Oxygen in there but if it's ok to do it right away then I will.

You should degass now, it helps with clearing.

Don't bother with the tiny wine pump thing, you'll end up getting bored with it and not really finish like you should. Stir or get a vacuum pump.

P.S. 4-week kit only means that the fermentation is over in 4 weeks. I suggest 90 or 180 days in the carboy before bottling. Your taste buds will thank you!

I agree !
Especially on your suggestion - I suggest 90 or 180 days in the carboy before bottling. Your taste buds will thank you!

Latest posts

Back