Degased and bentonite together

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sp33dymonk3y

Reaction score
Okay so I was degassing and went ahead and added the bentonite slurry while I was degassing.. Was that a bad idea?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I don't think so. A bunch of years ago, many Spagnols kits had makers add the bentonite post-fermentation and stir a lot. This accomplished the degassing, and ensured that the bentonite was circulated throughout the wine.

Steve

I must ask the question, if they did this several years ago and then stopped, the question is why. I completely degass and then add bentonite and have been doing so for several years.

Well do y'all think my wine is ruined? My peach mango wine defently got darker right after I did that..

Hopefully it will get clear after a while..

Uh oh, so I racked earlier and then Degased and added te bentonite today. Well look at all the sediment that built up in 4 hours... Why...? What is it? Bad? Good?

That is the bentonite doing its job. Pulling all the sediment out of the wine

Okay Awsome, that's Ben more than the primary had dropped! Great news! Now my wine got darker since I Degased (stirred) with the bentonite in it.. Will it go back to lighter?

But one gallon of wine with bentonite can drop 1/2"- 3/4" of sediment in 4-5 hours..?

I must ask the question, if they did this several years ago and then stopped, the question is why. I completely degass and then add bentonite and have been doing so for several years.
WHY? Because they moved the bentonite addition pre-fermentation, like their other kits, and like their competitors. Do you want the long story? You are happy with your process (and their really is nothing wrong with it), so don't worry about a kit company simplifying their instructions.

Steve

During fermentation CO2 bonds to bentonite and floats to the top where the CO2 is released and the bentonite sinks back to the bottom. This action helps distribute the yeasties...thats my story and I'm sticking to it :)

Well it has defiantly gotten lighter and even more sediment has dropped in less than 24 hours.. Another question I need to bring my acidity level down a lot. I have acid blend to take it up, but it needs to come down, should the degassing help the acid levels to down? Or do I need to add a solution? If so what is the name of the solution to add so I can go buy it
ImageUploadedByWine Making1399041791.432346.jpg

I know patience.. I'm bad about that. But the main question I am asking is the acidity level is double what it is supposed to be for a fruit wine.. Will it go down on its own over time? Or do I new to add something to help it go down?

I didn't follow a recipe, I got peach mango concentrate, added 1/4 of concentrate in a gallon jug, rest added water, added yeast nutrient, pasture red yeast, Degased and bentonite yesterday. Oh and added oak chips in primary which I shouldn't have.. Wasn't thinking straight. I used the titration acid test kit, fruit wines are suppose to be like 50-55% or it's 55-60% titration acid level. I used 4ml of sodium hydroxide which 4 x .25 = 100% titration acidity level. And it taste very tart..

It smells amazing though, just like a peach mango.

I am starting my RJ Spagnols Semillon/Sauvignon Blanc tonight and the first thing in the directions is to add the bentonite to 4 liters of warm water and stir. And that is before even the juice in the bag is added which is the second step.

Latest posts

Back