Degas.... With pictures!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpowell88

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals!

Yet another degas thread.... I have split up my petit Verdot into 2 carboys for easier degassing.... Ill rejoin them after.... Is this much gas from 3 gallons common? It just keeps coming?

image-3517019935.jpg

wow, I never get even 1/10th of the amount. I used the long spoon and the drill mount stainless thing. What did you use?

It looks like you are whipping the snot of of that because of the increased space over it. Don't run the drill on high. Pulse it and keep reversing direction for a more effective degassing. You should not get that much gas if it is ready to degas.

This wine had been sitting for about a month in the Carboy. I used short bursts and that's just what happened... Hmm... Maybe ill try the shake test

Wow, with that much CO2 in it I think I would have added some priming sugar and bottled it as a sparkling wine.

Lol Tom I'm not sure what the deal is... May let it rest then just try the vac u vin and see if that gets anything else...

With how shallow the wine is, I would suspect that much of that foam is due to the agitated wine trapping the air above it, which definitely leaves me concerned about introducing oxygen.

I agree with Impiryo. And I have to admit that I laugh to tears whenever I check the picture.

Haha, so do I... I just figured since it seemed to have so much gas splitting it up into 2 containers would work faster... apparently not! Live and learn right? I did the shake test today and no bubbles. Also hooked up a vac u vin and barely any bubbles came up.

Back