decanting/storing question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n0cturnal

Junior
Reaction score
This might not be fit for this thread or even this site, but I have a question and will appreciate if the experts here can answer that for me.

I have received four cases of italian cab. It is 2010 and it is a bit harsh on palate. If I decant it and let it breath, it turns out good. Now, my question is that can I open all the bottles and decant it, and then pour it back to the bottle, and re-cork it using the new natural corks? Will it spoil the wine or shorten the life in storage? I really don't want to go through the process of decanting it every time I want to drink. It will be nice if I can just open a bottle and enjoy the wine, when I want it.

Your suggestions and advise is greatly appreciated.

Personally, i would drink something else for now, honestly.

I'd open a bottle of this every 3-6 months to see where it's at, but it sounds like it could use some more aging... I would think with time, that harshness should mellow out depending on whats causing it..

n0cturnal, is this a commercial wine? When you say you decant it, is this because of sediment in the bottle or are you aerating the wine?

If it is the latter, I have a Vinturi (see http://www.vinturi.com/) that I hasten to point out that I got as a gift. It is really easy to use and does improve the wine. If we are opening a bottle for friends, I pour it through the Vinturi into a wine "ship's captain" decanter or I can use it to pour one glass at a time. The device is fairly expensive and I think it works.

Last edited:
n0cturnal, is this a commercial wine? When you say you decant it, is this because of sediment in the bottle or are you aerating the wine?

If it is the latter, I have a Vinturi (see http://www.vinturi.com/) that I hasten to point out that I got as a gift. It is really easy to use and does improve the wine. If we are opening a bottle for friends, I pour it through the Vinturi into a wine "ship's captain" decanter or I can use it to pour one glass at a time. The device is fairly expensive and I think it works.

+1

Introduced to it at a winery in Livermore, CA. They were barrel tasting, so you know those were young wines, but the difference between right out of the barrel and poured through the Vinturi was drastic.

I agree with Manley. Since decanting helps so well, that indicates the wine is young and the tannins just haven't settle down, yet. I would forget I even have it for another year or so. I would open one bottle in a year and try it. Let it grow up.

I strongly advise you to not decant and recork!

First off, the wine is a 2010. It is not even 2 years old yet.

The reason that decanting the wine has a softening effect is that it is allowing air (or oxygen) to react with the tannins in the wine (as said above).

Keep in mind that corks (I assume that you have natural cork) are not a perfect hermetic seal. Oxygen does diffuse throught the cork. Tannins serve as a pertectant, sacrificing itself in the process of absorbing this little bit of O2.

In other words, If it is the tannins that you do not like, then just wait and they will be diminished.

I personally shelve the cabernet for a year or more, then taste it.

Thanks everyone. Wow, this forum is great and the responses are awesome.

The wine does not have sediment, I meant to let it breath and aerate it and put it back in the bottle. Hoping, this will speed up the maturing process. Another thing is the wine is commercial, but not a very top shelf quality. I doubt if it will survive in my basement for more than 2 years.

I am leaning towards your suggestions and not going to decant and recork it, however, since the thought came to mind... can you guys explain me what would have happened if I would have done it? I mean the wine is not top shelf so any ideas what oxidation may have done to it after recorking. Just curious, and want to know how off I was from the concept :)

Thanks again!

Thanks everyone. Wow, this forum is great and the responses are awesome.

The wine does not have sediment, I meant to let it breath and aerate it and put it back in the bottle. Hoping, this will speed up the maturing process. Another thing is the wine is commercial, but not a very top shelf quality. I doubt if it will survive in my basement for more than 2 years.

I am leaning towards your suggestions and not going to decant and recork it, however, since the thought came to mind... can you guys explain me what would have happened if I would have done it? I mean the wine is not top shelf so any ideas what oxidation may have done to it after recorking. Just curious, and want to know how off I was from the concept :)

Thanks again!

The wine would oxidize much quicker, if you open it, then recork. It could end up spoiled, too.

You don't really want to speed up the aging process. The results will be of lesser quality than otherwise. Similar thing happens when the wine is stored in a warmer place. It ages much faster when warmer, but the end result will not be nearly as good.

Got it. Thanks for saving me from doing a mistake. It will get tagged and will check one bottle every 3 months.

Latest posts

Back