De-Gassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
I just finished a gallon of Grape, made from concentrate. The SpGr stayed at .995 for 5 days. I racked it on top of 1/4 tsp Sorbate and one crushed campden tablet, then de-gassed it. While watching it foam like a draft beer, it occured to me that I may be pulling all my SO2 off the wine that was put there by the campden tablet. It that what is happening, should you de-gass before adding the Sorbate and Campden Tablet or do I just have a lot of CO2?

Thanks

Semper Fi

You wont pull too much S02 out of your wine. Isnt it 1/2 tsp of sorbate per gallon? Are you going to sweeten this wine? You should always add sulfite then degas to make sure you dont oxidize it!

The package of Sorbate I have says to add 1/4 tsp/gallon, should I ge adding 1/2 tsp/gallon?
Yes, I plan on back sweetening it to 1.020
Should I pull a vacuum (20"Hg) until I get no bubbles, just when should I know when I have de-gassed enuf?
I plan on back sweetening to 1.020

Thanks Again

Semper Fi

If thata what your package says then thats what it is I guess, Ive never seen that ratio. As far as degassing goes, you will always see bubbles. I go until I can keep the vacuum up to around 18" on the gauge without having to back it down so that it doesnt go up the hose and thats always been enough for me. So basically, if you can run the pump for a few minutes at about 18" without bubbles going up the hise then its done.

If you can vac degas, I would. 20" is where I usually go. You'll know when it is primarily free of gas because you'll get much less activity at 20". If all your seals are tight, you can even put it under vacuum and leave it over night. If it maintains vacuum, you've gotten pretty much all you're going to get.

How long should it take?

I am degassing with a vacuum for the first time. At about 18" I was still getting small bubbles after about 45 minutes. Not a lot of action but a little ring of bubbles around the top. My wine is just above the shoulder of the carboy. I stopped the vacuum because I didn't want to over do it. Can I degas too long?

Lon, I used to have a pump that would hold a vacuum but nothing ever since then has and I have sealed everything. Not even with brand new units with no hoses attached have I been able to do this again. I actually took that pump apart to see why it was different then any other pump and could not figure it out and when putting back together tightly with Teflon tape that one would not hold anymore either. What model are you using and is there something Im missing here?

I am degassing with a vacuum for the first time. At about 18" I was still getting small bubbles after about 45 minutes. Not a lot of action but a little ring of bubbles around the top. My wine is just above the shoulder of the carboy. I stopped the vacuum because I didn't want to over do it. Can I degas too long?
You will always get bubbles as you are pulling a vacuum "THROUGH" the wine. You should have the temp of the wine at around 75* to do this properly as C02 stays suspended in your wine at cooler temps and is very hard to get out otherwise! If you can run the pump at around 18" and not have a flood going through your hose its degassed!

Lon, I used to have a pump that would hold a vacuum but nothing ever since then has and I have sealed everything. Not even with brand new units with no hoses attached have I been able to do this again. I actually took that pump apart to see why it was different then any other pump and could not figure it out and when putting back together tightly with Teflon tape that one would not hold anymore either. What model are you using and is there something Im missing here?

I use this pump. Have had it for maybe 3-4 years. Lots of batches done with it.
testervaconly.preview.jpg

You will always get bubbles as you are pulling a vacuum "THROUGH" the wine. You should have the temp of the wine at around 75* to do this properly as C02 stays suspended in your wine at cooler temps and is very hard to get out otherwise! If you can run the pump at around 18" and not have a flood going through your hose its degassed!

On this note. If you dont have a brew belt.... What is a good way to raise the temp to 75 Degs?

Any home fixes out there?

Put it next to a heat register, near a light bulb in a box. The last one is how I first started and it works. Just dont put it to close to a primary bucket where the juice is below it as I burned a hole right through the bucket that way. I came in the next day and wondered why my airlock wasnt bubbling and pulled it out onloy to see a hole in the bucket!!! LOL!

I really liked the idea someone on this forum came up with. They put one or more carboys in a tote with warm water and then place an aquarium heater in it to maintain the temperature. I think they even put a cheap circulating pump in it to ensure even temp through out the tote. Cool...ahhhh hot idea!

You could even do this in a laundry sink if you're not going to use it for a while.

I just ordered one of those, Minnesotamaker. Thanks for the show of approval for that product!

Minnesotamaker,
I have never seen one of those pumps. Is it the automobile brake system pump I hear about from time to time?

How much of a vacuum can you pull with it?
Where do you buy them?

I really liked the idea someone on this forum came up with. They put one or more carboys in a tote with warm water and then place an aquarium heater in it to maintain the temperature. I think they even put a cheap circulating pump in it to ensure even temp through out the tote. Cool...ahhhh hot idea!

You could even do this in a laundry sink if you're not going to use it for a while.

You really don't need the pump, if you loosely cover the tote, so the heat doesn't escape. Two aquarium heaters work better than one; one on opposite sides of the tote. Make sure they are the longer bodied heaters, so they heat the water top to bottom.

A floating thermometer for the tote works great. You have to work with the settings on the heaters for awhile to get it right. Otherwise you could come home to 100F must.

Minnesotamaker,
I have never seen one of those pumps. Is it the automobile brake system pump I hear about from time to time?

How much of a vacuum can you pull with it?
Where do you buy them?

Harborfreight.com sells them. I bought the MityVac there last year for I think around $19.00.

Two aquarium heaters work better than one; one on opposite sides of the tote. Make sure they are the longer bodied heaters, so they heat the water top to bottom.

A floating thermometer for the tote works great. You have to work with the settings on the heaters for awhile to get it right. Otherwise you could come home to 100F must.

Bolded, is no joke. I've spent a handful of years dealing with some sensitive tropical fish - temp being a big factor in keeping them alive & have had friends lose everything because a perfectly fine heater skitz'd on them. I guess its those experiences that makes me cringe when you all talk about using them to keep wines warm. I would definitely recommend a floating thermometer, & to check it regularly, if you're set on the idea.

Harborfreight.com sells them. I bought the MityVac there last year for I think around $19.00.

I should have checked HF. I just ordered one from Ebay and it cost $5.00 more with less accessories that go with it. Oh well... I wish you hadn't posted that. I'll just have to pretend the one I got from Ebay is better although it's surely the same thing. :D
And the thing is that I have a HF about 15 miles from the house.

You really do have a good point.

This is just my own opinion, of course, but under normal circumstances, you only need the extra heat before fermentation gets really underway and again when it has slowed enough that fermentation is no longer generating enough heat on its own to keep the temperature where you want it. That would typically be only in the winter time (for me).

I can't say that a brew belt, which is not even thermostatically controlled, would be much safer. It continuously generates heat at the same rate, regardless of the surrounding temperature.

With a brew belt, depending on the climate, one has to turn the belt off during heavy fermentation, then back on again later. In my area, if I should leave the belt going during heavy fermentation, my temperature would go much too high for me. My basement stays at a pretty continuous 66 degrees F.

But honestly, because it is not that cold in my area, I use brew belt(s). I have two identical belts; one gets much hotter than the other.

I am sure a person could make his own heater out of much more reliable parts. If I needed more heat than I typically do, I just might take that project on, myself. I have read where others have built sophisticated controls that have a heating probe that that goes down into the must. Now that's nice!!!

Latest posts

Back