De-Gassing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flame145

Reaction score
Does all wine get de-gassed ?? Or will time de-gas the wine naturally ??
How do I know if I need to de-gas or not ?? Little confused about this

Most wines will degass by themselves in time. Be sure the temps are around 75* though - as the wine will degass better at that temp.

You can degass yourself using a wine whip or a vacuum pump.

There a few ways to tell:

Taste - if you feel a fizzy taste on the tongue.
Sample - If you put a sample in your hydrometer test tube and place your hand over the top and shake it. When you remove you hand you will hear the gas escape out - kind of like opening a soda can.

Does all wine get de-gassed ?? Or will time de-gas the wine naturally ??
How do I know if I need to de-gas or not ?? Little confused about this

Time will degas wine naturally if your temps are up around 75*. I always like to degas my wine as it will help to clear it a lot quicker. If you put some of your wine in a bottle and shake it up with your thumb on it, you'll know if you have gas or not when you release you thumb. Just like we use to do with pop bottles. Another thing you could do is give it a good stir and see how much foam you get. Do this slowly at first as you could end up with that dreaded volcano so many of us have witnessed.

If making red wine from grapes then the process of crushing the grapes removes 99% of the gas. With kits its much different as we typically rack the wine over much gently preventing the gas from getting out much so kit wine usually benefits greatly from some degassing.

Ohh ok this wine is from grapes. So no need to de-gas if made from grapes, but de-gas if made from a kit or juice bucket, or concentrate. Ok I got it. Thanks for the help. Bryan

Ok not sure I am following this one Wade, your thinking crushing (or did you really mean pressing) of the skins gets rid of the CO2? Not much (if any) CO2 at the initial crush phase but the press phase for sure.

You are spot on though. My wine made from fresh grapes this Fall did indeed not only clear all by itself without the need for any fining agents but was also degassed without the need for any assistance via a pump like a kit requires

You may be on to something here.

I like the theory!

Ok not sure I am following this one Wade, your thinking crushing (or did you really mean pressing) of the skins gets rid of the CO2? Not much (if any) CO2 at the initial crush phase but the press phase for sure.

You are spot on though. My wine made from fresh grapes this Fall did indeed not only clear all by itself without the need for any fining agents but was also degassed without the need for any assistance via a pump like a kit requires

You may be on to something here.

I like the theory!

I thought the gas was caused by the yeast eating the sugar and creating CO2?

My Catawba still has quite a bit of gas. The Niagara and Concord are almost completely degassed and I just let it do it on its own. It has been in the carboy for about 4 months

Anyone ever try de-gassing a bottle of wine by sticking a (hollow?) needle through the cork? I'd rather not add a bunch more chemicals to my wine, or re-bottle it!

Thanks, Jaimes Beam

Back