De gasser

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brent2489 said:
I just bought one on e-bay for $25 with $15 shipping. Need to get to Lowes to buy some parts to connect it and replace the nasty looking tubing that was on it. Overflow container looks fine (and is glass) but the tubing looks like either something died in it or it is full of penicillin.

Sounds like they sent you the used tubing.... Ewwwwww........

A lot of these units are used. Just give the outsides a good wipe down with some antibacterial wipes, clean off any debris that looks like it shouldn't be there and you will be fine. The units themselves are designed to be used on multiple patients.

Maybe George should start to sell these. I just ordered one this morning along with water filter system and of coarse its a oiless model.

smiley32.gif
Thanks for your help
smiley32.gif

I ordered my from ValleyVinter. If you need more info on it just let me know. I will be glad to help you.

I thing there is some confusion between a Aspirator Pump and a vacuum pump. The vacuum pump takes oil and does spray it around if you're not carefull. I keep a paper towell over the oil port on mine. below is a picture of the oiless aspirator.

20091122_134257_Aspirator-54756.jpg

So apparently my aspirator is a Vibra 70 not 79. Here are some pix. Note I still have not attached the new tubing. Have not gotten to Lowes yet due to de-gassing wine.

20091122_150719_PICT0001.JPG

20091122_150732_PICT0002.JPG

20091122_150740_PICT0003.JPG

Hmmm maybe should of gone to the store first and saved myself an hour or two!!

That looks exactly like the Schuco model. Very nice! Im glad that Valley Vintner is now selling a good pump also cause those oil units are nasty!

An Aspirator pump is a type of vacuum pump, just for a different intended use.

I'm glad Valley Vintner started selling those now. I have not seen that model yet, but it is a great idea and about time. Who wants oil vapors all over everything?

When you use a vacuum pump, what do you filter your wine with? I've been using a gravity filter but that just sits on top of whatever I filter into - it would not allow me to create a vacuum unless it was modified somehow.

I use a whole house filter housing with 5,2,1 or .45 micron size cartridges. One works very well, but you can hook two together and filter medium and fine at the same time. This just goes between the pickup cane and the destination carboy or bottler.

Thats my next purchase, I have the $ just havent had the time to do it. Been doing a bunch of side jobs lately and since my wife has been out of commission been doing all the work in and out of the house.

Huh. I am learning so much on this forum - thanks!

How many times can you typically use one of those filters before you replace it? And do you clean it afterwards by running clear water through for a while and then using K-meta?

My aspirator is a Shuco 130. These sell on Ebay used for $40-75. I have mine set at 21" of vacuum.

I have that exact same pump - got it when a Kaiser Permamente closed. Works great. I also use it for pulling a vacuum when marinating meat.

Latest posts

Back