Dave's Wine Wall Display

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dangerdave

Chief Bottlewasher
Reaction score
I kept looking at displays like these on line and balked at the prices. After searching stores for several months, looking for the right hardware, I finally found what I wanted at Lowe's. The garden hose hangers holding the big bottles in front are from a garage organization system (I forget the brand name). When I saw them, I knew they were just the right size for 1500ml bottles.

The pine box is made from a 48" one by twelve (front) and two one by sixes (sides) squared up with a pair of 1x2's at the top and bottom (rear), leaving the top and bottom of the box open. The box is screwed to a 2x4 frame mounted very securely to studs in the wall. I drilled holes every six inches in the center of each side panel for the necks of the 750ml bottles (held in place by gravity). I stuffed a clear LED rope light inside for a nice ambient glow (the light shines though the clear wines and out the top and bottom of the box) and applied a Weeping Willow Wines stamp to the upper front for decoration (and vinyard identification). When you descend the stairs to my family room (basement), this greets you on the opposite wall.

Less than $50! I really like how it turned out!

100_1068.jpg

Hey Dave - this looks great! I'll have to look into rigging one up for our place. Seems fairly simple to put together. Now, I just need to find a logo picture for my 'winery'...

That is awesome Dave, great work.

Dan: The winner already has it! :br

Roy: I knew someone was going to ask about the hole size. I think it was a 1 1/4 inch bit. I tried several test drills with different bits on some scrap wood to see which would work best. When I get home tomorrow, I'll measure one of the holes for you. I checked very carefully to make sure the bottles would not slide out. Gravity holds them very snuggly in place. You have to lift and pull to get them out. Like I said, I saw many like this online for sale. It's a good common design.

Thanks everyone! One note: If you deside to make one, be very sure it is very securely anchored to the wall studs. Mine is holding the equivalent of two cases of wine!

Last edited:
Nice Dave, I may have to borrow that idea (lights) for a riddling rack I've been procrastinating on.

Wall wine bottle display

Very very nice! I also make my own wine racks and now you added another project. Ok to copy yours? Do u have a side view?

thanks, joe

Dave, I counted the bottles, 19 of them. More like 1-1/2 cases of wine unless the ones in the center are magnums. By the way, Excellent rack, I like it!

Dave, very nice indeed ! It would make a great gift for that special person. Bakervinyard

I'll check the hole size and get some side views posted tomorrow. Copy away! Glad to help. I'd have been more thorough in my OP if I had predicted the amount of interest.

Roy, to call me a "woodworker" is a slight exaggeration. I often dabble in wood like I tinker on my truck. Call me a "shade tree woodworker". :)"Measure thrice, cut twice!" No, that's not right! :re

Super Cool D.Dave, I respectfully raise a glass of Dragon's Blood to your latest project. Yeah, the lighting rocks!

BC

Back